Monday, August 02, 2010

Gospel Doctrine, here I come?

Charlotte Quote of the Week:

quirky 8-10


"So, that's what happens if you're in a crappy boat in the middle of a great big crazy storm."


-Said by me to the primary children after a brilliant object lesson in which I made an origami paper boat, floated it in a casserole dish full of water, rained on it with spray bottle rain, and used my hands to make two-story size waves (scaled down to the size of the boat of course), all to efficiently sink the boat. We then went on to discuss Luke 8:22-25, and the story of how Jesus calmed the tempest on the Sea of Galilee.

-Yes, I said the word "crappy" in the middle of church. I should be released any day now . . .






(For those not as initiated in the LDS Church: "Gospel Doctrine" is the name of the Sunday School class that is taught to the adults during the time that I am teaching the children in Primary. The class is sometimes interesting, enlightening, educational, and spiritual, and sometimes it's a trial in boredom. This usually depends on the teacher and (let's be honest) the amount of personal preparation and study on the part of the student. If they were to kick me out of the primary for saying words like "crappy", I would have to leave my intriguing, delightful experiences with the children, and take my chances with the grown-ups. Gulp!)

(They won't really kick me out of Primary though. At least, not just for saying "crappy".)


Image of Origami Boat found here

6 comments:

Ryan + Angie said...

By the title, I thought you were headed that way. I just got the calling to teach Gospel Doctrine in our new ward and I thought I could commiserate with you. :)

Charlotte said...

Oh Angie! My condolences!

At least we can rest assured that yours will be a class of the "enlightening, educational, and spiritual" variety.

Tasha said...

While I'm probably a sinner for saying so, my dream calling is to be able to teach Gospel Doctrine.

Someday....

Heather Albee-Scott said...

Love that you said crappy in church. Sophie likes to tell all her friends that our pastor said the word butt during a sermon. He scored BIG points with her that day.

Bamamoma said...

That is AWESOME. As you know, GD teacher is my all-time FAVORITE calling. I too thought you had scored it. This was much more entertaining though.

Laura said...

I enjoy reading about the Mormon faith...just talked to my sister about the Food Storage concept the other day. Good conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...