Monday, June 28, 2010

Lion Watchers--UNITED!

It all started when I passed by a neighbors home, saw some stone lions in the driveway, wondered what the story was behind them, and blogged about it.

Later, I learned the story, and while it was anticlimactic, particularly when compared to my own imaginings, I was glad to have my curiosity satisfied.

Even later, I discovered that there are people who think of this blog, and by extension, me every time they see a stone lion.

On June 24, 2010 my friend Corrie took that a step farther and posted a picture of a couple of stone lions on her blog. I enjoyed that so much that I thought (and wrote),

"Wouldn't it be fun if we all were on the lookout for stone lions, and whenever we saw any, we posted them on our blogs to share the joy? Doesn't that sound like just a barrel of fun?"

Harmony was next to take me up on the offer, much to my joy.

Now, since I'm sure that nearly all of the rest of you will want to join in on the fun (and on the very minuscule possibility that you don't, I'm going to need a place to put all the stone lion pictures that I'll be taking from now on) , I've decided to use this post as an exhibit or gallery of sorts--dedicated to the pursuit of stone lions.



So, without further ado (and let's be honest, there's been a lot of ado already!), I hereby present the exceptional collection of the United Seekers of Stone Lions (or as I prefer to call it--USoSL, which is pronounced oooh-SAW-sul):






quirky 6-10
Corrie--of It's a Dewsie!, June 24, 2010
(photo was probably taken somewhere in Alabama, USA)



quirky 6-10
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, June 26, 2010
(photo taken in Lindon, Utah, USA)




quirky 6-10
Charlotte (you know, me!) July 2, 2010
(photo taken about three blocks from Utah Festival Opera HQ; Logan, Utah, USA)




florence
Kristi Bell (a non-blogger (for now at least) ) July, 2010
(photo taken in Florence, Italy)




florence
Kristi Bell (a non-blogger (for now at least) ) July, 2010
(photo taken in Florence, Italy)


florence
Kristi Bell (a non-blogger (for now at least) ) July, 2010
(photo taken in Florence, Italy)


florence
Kristi Bell (a non-blogger (for now at least) ) July, 2010
(photo taken in Florence, Italy)


Let's get a closer look at those guys:
florence

florence





lucerne switzerland
Kristi Bell (a non-blogger (for now at least) ) July, 2010
(photo taken in Lucerne, Switzerland)




(Same lion below--did you realize he was so high? I didn't.)
lucerne switzerland





lucerne switzerland
Kristi Bell (a non-blogger (for now at least) ) July, 2010
(photo taken in Lucerne, Switzerland)

quirky 8-10
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, August, 2010
(photo taken in front of Union Station, Washington DC, USA)


quirky 8-10
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, August, 2010
(photo taken on the entrance to one of the Senate office buildings (we think), Washington DC, USA)



quirky 8-10
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, August, 2010
(photo taken in Washington DC, USA)



quirky 8-10
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, August, 2010
(photo taken in Washington DC, USA)
(you have to look really closely to find the lion)






Just in case you didn't look closely enough:
quirky 8-10
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, August, 2010
(photo taken in Washington DC, USA)


Photobucket
Melissa of Happy Quilting and We Are Corrys, August, 2010
(photo taken in Nauvoo, Illinois, USA)

quirky 9-10
Corrie--of It's a Dewsie!, Summer, 2010
(photo taken in Beazer, Alberta, Canada)

quirky 9-10
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in New York City, NY)
PhotobucketLyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in Athens, Greece)


Photobucket

Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in Athens, Greece)

Photobucket

Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in Athens, Greece)


Photobucket
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in Athens, Greece)

Photobucket

Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in Napflion, Greece)

quirky 10-10
Kami--of Kyle & Kami, October, 2010
(photo taken in Salt Lake City, Utah)

Photobucket
Nate of Nate's Really Cool Blog About Stuff, Summer 2010
(Photo taken in Lagoon Amusement Park, Northern Utah)



Photobucket
Nate of Nate's Really Cool Blog About Stuff, Summer 2010
(Photo taken in Fort Duchesne, Utah)






Photobucket
(Photo taken in Vernal, Utah.)




quirky 11-10
Macayla of Kalas Bear Cottage, November 2010
(photo taken in Hawaii)




quirky 11-10
Macayla of Kalas Bear Cottage, November 2010
(photo taken in Hawaii)






Photobucket
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in London, England)


Photobucket
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in London, England)
Photobucket
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2010
(photo taken in London, England)




quirky 12-10
Jeri of A Fickle Pickle, October 2010
(photo taken in Hawaii)



quirky 12-10
Jeri of A Fickle Pickle, October 2010
(photo taken in Hawaii)
quirky 12-10
Jeri of A Fickle Pickle, October 2010
(photo taken in Hawaii)

quirky 12-10
Phil Kesler,
(photo taken in Salt Lake City)

quirky 12-10
Phil Kesler
(photo taken in Switzerland)

quirky 12-10
Phil Kesler
(photo taken in Switzerland)


Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer, November, 2010
Photo taken in the Goethe-Institute, Boston, Massachusetts






Photobucket
Barbara Corry, Fall 2010
Photo taken in Banff, Canada





Photobucket
Barbara Corry, October 2010
Photo taken in Cedar City, Utah




Photobucket
Barbara Corry, October, 2010
Photo taken in Cedar City, Utah


quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica


quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica

quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica


quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica
quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica
quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica
quirky 1-11
Jacob& Melissa of We are Corrys and Happy Quilting, January 2011
Photo taken in Jamaica

quirky 1-11
 Corrie of It's a Dewsie!, January 2011
Photo taken in the Atlanta Zoo, Georgia




quirky 2-11
Barbara Corry, December 2010
Photo taken in Hawaii


quirky 2-11
Robert & ShaLiece Corry,  December 2010
Photo taken in Hawaii

quirky 3-11
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, 2010-2011
(Photo taken in Pleasant Grove, Utah)
quirky 3-11
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, 2010-2011
(Photo taken in Pleasant Grove, Utah)quirky 3-11
Harmony of Me and My Five Boys, 2010-2011
(Photo taken in Pleasant Grove, Utah)

quirky 3-11
Carol of Colorado Carol, 2010-2011
(Photo taken in Denver, Colorado)


quirky 3-11
quirky 3-11
quirky 3-11
quirky 3-11
quirky 3-11
quirky 3-11
quirky 3-11
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2011

Photos (66 of them) taken in Barcelona, Genoa, Palermo, Rome, Sardinia, the Vatican, and Venice.

quirky 3-11
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2011
Photo taken in Italy

quirky 3-11
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2011
Photo taken in Italy
quirky 3-11
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2011
Photo taken in Italy


quirky 3-11
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2011
Photo taken in Italy


quirky 3-11
Lyn--of Life as I Know It, 2011
Photo taken in Italy


Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Germany




Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Germany
Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Germany




Photobucket

Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Germany
Photobucket
 Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Germany
Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Germany

Photobucket
Robert Corry, May 2011
Photo taken up Parowan Canyon, Utah.



Photobucket
Charlotte (me!), May 2011
Photo taken in River Heights, Utah


Photobucket 

Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Berlin, Germany

Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Berlin, Germany


Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Berlin, Germany





Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Berlin, Germany

Photobucket
Jeff of deutschlehrer May 2011
photo taken in Berlin, Germany



Photobucket
Doug of The Corry Family, May 2011
photo taken in Cleveland Heights, Ohio


Photobucket

Doug of The Corry Family, May 2011
photo taken in Cleveland Heights, Ohio



Photobucket

Doug of The Corry Family , May 2011
photo taken in Cleveland Heights, Ohio



quirky 6-11
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
(not that Elder Packer)
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee



Photobucket
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee


Photobucket
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee




Photobucket
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee

Photobucket
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee





Photobucket
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee


Photobucket
Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee


Photobucket

Elder and Sister Packer (blogless for now) May 2011
Photo taken in Brentwood/Nashville Tennessee


qurky 6-11

Charlotte (me) April 2011
photo taken in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco




quirky 6-11
Charlotte (me) April 2011
photo taken in San Francisco California





Photobucket
Eric Cantwell and Barbara Corry, April 2011

(photo taken by Charlotte), Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, California




Photobucket
Eric & Charlotte Cantwell, April 2011

Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, California








Photobucket
Barbara Corry and Charlotte Cantwell April 2011

Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco California




Photobucket
Charlotte, April 2011

Fisherman's Wharf., San Franscisco California

Photobucket
Kami of Kyle & Kami, June 2011
Photo taken in Logan, Utah



Photobucket
Kami of Kyle & Kami, June 2011
Photo taken in Logan, Utah

This from Grandpa P (and you can read the whole post, which is quite interesting, here.)

quirky 7-11
Grandpa P of Wanderings of an Old Man, July 2011
Photo taken around Brentwood, Nashville Area, Tennessee



Photobucket

Grandpa P of Wanderings of an Old Man, July 2011
Photo taken in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee


Photobucket

Grandpa P of Wanderings of an Old Man, July 2011
Photo taken in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee


Photobucket

Grandpa P (pictured) of Wanderings of an Old Man, July 2011
Photo taken in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee



quirky 7-11
Tonia of Loveland9, July 2011
Photo taken in Portland, Oregon

quirky 7-11


Tonia of Loveland9, July 2011
Photo taken in Portland, Oregon

quirky 7-11
Rebecca of Sister Becky Bingham, July 2011
Photo taken in Valley Center, Kansas



quirky 8-11
Lyn of Life as I Know It August, 2011
Photo taken at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, Nevada




quirky lion
Heidi of Simply Better Together September,2011
Photo taken in Utah (in front of her in-laws home)


Photobucket Heather of  Making Happy, September 2011
Photo taken at the Dahlem Environmental Education Center in Jackson Michigan.

Photobucket
Harmony of  Me and My Five Boys, September 2011
Logan, Utah (near the LDS temple)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Harmony  and Harmony's son of  Me and My Five Boys, September 2011
Photo taken in American Fork, Utah



Photobucket
Photobucket
Elder Packer of Wanderings of an Old Man, September 2011
Photo taken in the Cheekwood Gardens, in Nashville Tennessee.

 
Photobucket Orlando Florida.  Heidi, with assistance from Corrie.
October, 2011



If you'd like to add to this fine collection, well, this is your lucky day!! Feel free to post your own stone lions on your own blogs, and then let me know, or, if you'd rather, you can e-mail me your pictures at charlottelaughs at gmail dot com.

Fellow Lion Seekers! Our time is now!



**UPDATE:  For more Lion pictures, 
(There were so many pictures on this post, the browsers were getting hung up on it.)







7 comments:

corrie said...

Oooo. I like Aslan with the ball!

Heather Albee-Scott said...

Oh, this is great!! There are some lions by a house we pass on Sumac all the time...I'll try to get out there this evening and take a pic! We had a lion in our home (it's a Buddhist symbol), but it broke, which made me sad, and worried...kind of like breaking a mirror :(

Carol said...

I love stone lions. My sister was born in August - the sign of Leo the Lion. I have always loved lions for that reason. I was even more enamored of the stone lion when I discovered that the Chinese put them at their doors and gates to keep away evil. That was my sister as well - she only wanted good to be around her family. She was truly lion hearted in her approach to life and ultimately her crossing over to the other side of the veil. I have even been shopping for my own lions to put in my garden. I'll be posting (which I have neglected for a long while) about lions and my neighborhood's stone lions. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Harmony said...

Okay, this is becoming a barrel of fun! Leave it to Charlotte (is the best!)to entertain us in unusual and creative ways. :-)

As I looked at my photo again in this post and read some of the other comments, I decided one of the reasons I like stone lions is because they remind me of Aslan, C.S. Lewis' lion in The Chronicles of Narnia books, who is, on one level, a symbol or representation of Jesus Christ.

Harmony said...

Charlotte, I'm not sure if you follow this blog, but the Julie Beck quote about the lioness at the end of this post caught my attention in relation to all these stone lions:

http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/2010/06/summer-cottage-in-babylon.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChocolateOnMyCranium+%28Chocolate+On+My+Cranium%29

Charlotte said...

Oh Harmony--thank you! That is a great quote, quite thought-provoking.

Janet S. said...

Just wanted to mention that Brigham Young whose statue in the US Capitol was known as the "Lion of the Lord." Maybe that's why the Lion is on the chair where his hand rests in the statue in Washington DC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...