Thursday, May 20, 2010

paths

In what is probably the first time in the history of our marriage, Eric's robot/geek blog has been updated more recently than this blog.

I was able to stand the shame of it for nearly a whole day, but I've had all I can take, and I have to reclaim my rightful place as the consistent semi-prolific blogger in our household.

Take that, Enrique!

I took about half an hour recently and updated our family slide show on the sidebar. Personally I like to look at it while I'm listening to John Mayer's "Say" (also on the sidebar). It feels more like a bona fide well-thought-out collection of pictures and music that way. Kind of fun, but probably more fun if you're me than if you're not me. All the same, if you want to check it out--I'll give you a little helpful hint. All the new pictures are at the very beginning of the slide show. Enjoy.

Tonight as I was singing Heather to bed, I (foolishly) let my mind go down forbidden paths. Sometimes I accidentally let myself think about what I would do if something terrible happened to my Heather. Nearly my entire world is wrapped up in that little 25 pound body, which, I've gotta tell you, is kind of an insecure place to be sometimes. It's an especially insecure place to be when I let my runaway imagination go down paths where it really has no business going.

I think at least part of the reason for the wild romp through forbidden territory is because we've had traumatic things happen to close friends recently. Almost two weeks ago, one of our best friends survived what could have been a fatal motorcycle accident. He's fine overall, no spinal cord or brain injuries (thank heaven!), but he did have to have some pretty specialized surgery, and will be somewhat out of commission for awhile. Then, shortly before that, another family that we are close to got the news that their three-year-old daughter has leukemia. Apparently there are a few kinds of leukemia, and the kind she has is very treatable and curable, which obviously is a relief. All the same, not the kind of news you want to get, and not the kind of experience you want to endure.

Anyway, there's been a lot rattling around in my brain lately, and it hasn't all been peace and joy and hopeful thoughts of rainbows and lollipops.

But, there's always good to be found, and when I remind myself to hang on to the memories of the good stuff, then I'm able to be a little more rational about the bad stuff. About the same time all this bad news was coming in, I got word that a dear friend of mine has found her own handsome prince and she's marrying him. She's happy. Actually, as nearly as I can tell (she lives in another state these days), she's happier than she's ever been in all the time that I've known her. That's good stuff.

Of course there's always good stuff to be found with Heather. Every new word she learns, every new trick she masters, every time I see her looking at me with pride at her most recent accomplishment--it's the very epitome of the good stuff that my life contains. Tonight, (about fifteen minutes before I put Heather to bed and went on the wild mental romp) Eric and I were discussing, in pretty extensive detail, something that wasn't all that meaningful.

Heather, not wanting to go to bed yet, (and bright enough to realize that she'd be better served to draw as little attention to herself as possible) quietly marched over to her book basket, picked out three of her favorite books, and proceeded to sit next to me on the couch and entertain herself by looking at pictures of chickens and pineapples and families having picnics in the park.

Watching her was pure joy for me. What a treat.

Photobucket

So, I don't really know where I'm going with this post. Bad things happen but good things do too? Living each day as it comes is a better plan that trying to cross bridges that you aren't at yet? Writing blog posts right before bed so that your blog is more updated than your husband's can lead to unexpected and perhaps undesirable results?

Probably all of the above. And I suppose that's okay--once in a while.

Like today for example.




2 comments:

Bamamoma said...

Who??? Who is getting married? I was already glad I'm going to see you tomorrow, but now I'm really excited. You have news! :)

Charlotte said...

Kristi Green! It's Kristi Green!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...