Wednesday, May 26, 2010

an olive branch

quirky 5-10


Dear Beautiful, Cheery, Entertaining Birds,

I'm heart rendingly sorry that I called you spoiled and ungrateful.

I love that you've been visiting us so much lately, and in such great numbers. I love watching you flit in and out of our tree and our yard. I love looking at your different colors, and discussing with Eric how many different varieties of you there are. I love how Heather will point to you and then say, "BIR!!!" with such excitement. I love how some of you will wait on branches for your turn at the bird feeder, and when it takes longer than you were hoping, you stop waiting and start moving in on those who have had more than their fair share.

I love you so much that I've gone to the trouble of washing my front window (only the bottom half--my love of you does not extend to ladder-climbing) so that I can see you better. If you knew me at all, you would know that there is no higher compliment (except for maybe ladder-climbing).

So far, you are my favorite part of spring.

Please keep coming. I'll do my best to keep (your version of) M&Ms and peanuts stocked.

With love,
The woman formerly known as skin-flint Mrs. Cantwell






Note: I did not take the picture and this is not our bird feeder. I tried several times to get a picture of "our" birds, but they would fly off anytime I got anywhere near them. So, this one will have to do. It's quite pretty, don't you think? Anyway, you can find more by the photographer here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...