Tuesday, March 30, 2010

NEWS FLASH

I'm going to Chicago in a week and a half.


Now for a few details, and we'll call it a night.

My mom has a school board conference in Chicago next week. She's invited me to join her, and mooch off of her hotel. I'm no stranger to mooching of conference hotels, having done it in New Orleans (thanks mom), Orlando (thanks Irene), San Diego (thanks again Irene), and New York (thanks Heidi). That doesn't even count the few times that my parents planned our childhood family vacations around my father's continuing education requirements.

I've never been to Chicago, and so when she offered, I was excited to go. I cleared it with Eric (since he'll be taking care of her little highness while I'm gone), and the plans were put in place. I'm thrilled and anxious all at the same time. It's amazing just how much a little girl can change things, you know? I haven't been on a plane since Heather was born, I've never been more than 100 miles away from her, and I've never spent more than one night away from her. Now I'm set to be away for four whole nights, half-way across the country. She'll make it just fine, I'm sure. I just hope I survive.

(I know--I'm pathetic. Don't even bother saying it. I have become exactly what I used to shake my head at in my single days. Mmm-hmmm, that humble pie sure tastes good!)

But hey, it's Chicago! I've always wanted to see Chicago! My favorite painting is housed in Chicago! My favorite movie was set in Chicago! And what about those Chicago Bears, huh? I still remember them doing the Superbowl Shuffle back all those years ago. (If you missed it or have forgotten, there's seven minutes of 80's joy right here waiting for you.)



So, anxieties notwithstanding,
Chicago, here I come!





6 comments:

Bamamoma said...

PUnka, Eden and I are looking forward to some quality time with Heather in your absence. :)

Charlotte said...

And Eric is thankful to have the opportunity to give you some quality time!

lynl514 said...

As someone still enjoying those single days sans children and sans husband...I'm not going to lie...I found you post somewhat amusing! And thought I'd mention that when I was in London and wanted to see MY favorite painting (Lady of the Lake - at least I think that's the title) it was on loan to a museum in Chicago. So if you happen upon it enjoy it for me!

Charlotte said...

I know Lyn, huh? How could I have fallen so far, so fast!

I'll look for the Lady of the Lake, just for you.

corry-news.blogspot.com said...

How fun to go to Chicago. Hey I went to the Etsy Page. Those headbands are cute.

Carol said...

As a single person sans children and husband - I have to say that I am glad you are taking time for yourself. I think we forget that every station in life has it's advantages and disadvantages. I also think that sometimes it is good to take a break from our current station and vacation in the other stations. That is why I occasionally agree to take care of other's children. It reminds me what is so wonderful about my current station!

Have a great trip. I love Chicago and I am certain you will as well. Enjoy the miracle mile and if you get a chance, take the river tour - the architecture is great and fun to learn about on the tours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...