Friday, February 19, 2010

in which I (unsucessfully) try not to say "I told you so"

"That Delores Umbridge! I can't stand her!

Is she ever going to get what's coming to her?"
--said by my Eric, over dinner dishes, a week ago


I've been a Harry Potter fan/fanatic since the days when the book recordings came out on tapes and not CDs. I've especially been a fan of the recordings of the books, read by the ultra-talented Jim Dale.

So, when Eric mentioned (years ago) that he was tired of listening to NPR on his morning commute, I suggested that he listen to one of those books on CD. He didn't take my suggestion, and I let it drop.

Then, a year or so ago, Eric again mentioned that he was looking for commute-listening material, and I again suggested the Harry Potter CDs. Again he didn't take my suggestion, and again I let it drop.

Then, at Christmastime, we were headed down to Cedar City for our annual winter visit. Eric went to the library and picked up two books on CD for the trip. We tried one (a John Grisham novel), but turned it off after about 15 minutes. It started out with the description of a rape of a young girl, and provided more details than either of us felt good about. Then we started another one (a non-scary Stephen King novel), but it too was turned off rather quickly, as we encountered some really objectionable language early on.

Luckily, I had packed Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on CD, in case of just such an occurrence! I informed Eric of this good news, and he reluctantly agreed that we could listen to it.

Twenty minutes later he was entranced.

quirky 2-10

The Harry Potter books are long, as most of you know. So, Eric's had this one in his car for nearly two months, and he listens to it as he makes the long (by rural Utah standards) drive from our end of the valley to the other. He's almost to the end, and it's been so fun to hear him tell me of his favorite characters (Luna Lovegood and Hagrid), his least favorite characters (the aforementioned Delores Umbridge), and just how he has enjoyed the richness of the book, as compared to the glossy treatment that the movies have (by necessity) provided.

All the while, I secretly smile to myself.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I am totally, completely, absolutely, and without question, right.

And boy, does it ever feel good.



1 comment:

Heather Albee-Scott said...

Sophie and Steve read the whole series and I tried many times to read the first book, just couldn't get into it...but tried again recently and loved it! I need to get back and finish the series...I have a short attention span!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...