Friday, December 11, 2009

the magic of peppy tunes

So, it's been pretty cold here. This morning, I woke up and the temperature was -4 degrees. But, to make things worse, as I swung my legs over the side of the bed, my calves screamed in protest and I thought I might die. That's because yesterday, instead of braving the zero-degree weather with my little ipod, I chose to spend twenty quality minutes (still with the ipod) climbing up and down the bottom two stairs of our staircase.

That might have been a mistake.

Who knew that twenty minutes of unusual exercise could wreak so much havoc?

quirky 12-09
In other news, I've determined that my addiction to chocolate has gone just a little bit too far, and I'm going on a temporary chocolate fast just to see if I can get things a little bit back in line. So far I've made it nearly fourteen hours. I'm hoping to make it twenty-four, and then we'll just see how far I go from there. A month or more would be nice, but we're taking it a day at a time here.

One more random observation, and then that will do it for this post. Do any of you find that listening to music makes all the difference in the world, or is that just me?

Yesterday morning as Heather was eating her breakfast (and as I was supposed to be eating my breakfast but wasn't getting around to it yet), I looked at our sink, our floor, our counters, and the breakfast nook table and nearly started crying because it just all looked so messy. Fortunately, I remembered that I had some peppy tunes loaded on the computer, and so I turned them on and got to work. Within (I'm not kidding) three songs (so 15 minutes max) the dishwasher was loaded, the sink was scrubbed, the counters were wiped, the kitchen floor was swept, and I'd even been able to "spot-mop" the problem areas on our floor, which, when you have a kitchen as small as ours, once you've cleaned up about three spots, you've almost cleaned the whole floor. Just one of the benefits of living in close-ish quarters.

(Sorry about that run-on sentence. Mr. Bonzo, beware!)

Best of all, rather than being in a martyred-overworked-wife-and-mother mood, I was in a really good mood.

Isn't it nice when it works out that way?



[that image of chocolate deliciousness can be found here]

3 comments:

Kami Willis said...

I looked around at our house last night and wanted to cry too. Maybe I'll have to try the peppy tunes and see how fast I can get it cleaned up. I love your blog posts. They always make me feel better

Harmony said...

Good luck with the chocolate fast. Let us know how that goes. I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Music does make a huge difference, especially evident this time of year.

Loved the picture of Heather I got in the mail this week, by the way. She's a doll!

layjent said...

I'm hoping to help you fail at your chocolate fast...and I'm not even going to try and hide that fact.

The candymaking begins on Thursday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...