Sunday, October 11, 2009

sweet vulnerability

"We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."
-(The Proclamation on the Family, 4th paragraph)

As I've thought about this statement, some interesting ideas have come to my mind. I'll just share one.

When I married Eric, I was a virgin. I'd kept the law of chastity essentially because it was a commandment, and I assumed that God knew better than I did, and I'd do better to follow His will than to follow my own. (It's not quite that simple of course, but I'm not feeling inclined to share my more personal reasons and experiences in this public forum.)

Now that I'm married and have experienced "the sacred powers of procreation", I'm grateful beyond grateful that I was given this commandment, but perhaps not for the more obvious reasons of avoiding an unwanted pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease.

I'm not sure how to put this in way that I'll feel good about posting here, but here goes:

I'm grateful that I wasn't ever in a situation where I considered sharing such an intimate experience with someone that I didn't trust completely, love completely, and want to be with for the rest of my life and beyond. Now that I'm on the other side of that coin, I realize so much more just how vulnerable it can leave a person. I consider it a joyous, fulfilling vulnerability (as odd as that may sound), when it's with my Eric. However, in a relationship that was even slightly more casual? Not so much.

So, I'm glad I waited.

More glad than I can say.







(For more of my writings along this line, click on the label "Family Proclamation" on the sidebar. I've written about the Proclamation on the Family a few times before, and I'm planning to write about it from time to time for the next little while.)

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Well stated. It is truly a power that is from God and that, unfortunately, many, many people don't ever get to experience that feeling. I don't know how many times I have heard people talking about this precious gift as just sex....and I just want to say, "If you only understood..."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...