Wednesday, September 02, 2009

You're Welcome

picture lifted from here (which is where you'll find the recipe as well)




I like food.



I especially like sweets.



I especially especially like chocolate.



In fact, I'm a bit of a chocolate connoisseur.



One year, my only New Years' Resolution was to not have brownies for breakfast (yes, you read that right) for the entire year.



I made it, but you better believe that I had brownies for my New Year's breakfast the next year.



So, when I say that these are bar none, the most delicious brownies I've ever made, you know that's no small thing.



I owe a debt of gratitude to Denae for sharing the recipe on her blog, and another to Donna for making a batch and showing me just how good they are.



Now, print out the recipe, and make a batch!



You'll thank me later.




(Even if you generally don't like mint brownies. I don't.)



(Oh-and when I made them, I halved the recipe. It turned out fine. The last thing we need sitting around here is a double-size batch of brownies, you know?)


Grasshopper brownies (can be halved)
-denaeharlow.blogspot.com

Brownies:
2 boxes brownie mix

Mint Frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup soft butter
2 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
4 drops green food coloring

Chocolate Topping:
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butter

1) To make the Brownies follow the recipe for "cake-like" brownies. Or if there isn't one, add 2-3 more eggs (total-so 1 or so per box). Pour into a large, greased cookie sheet, bake and let cool completely

2) To make the mint frosting, combine powdered sugar, butter, water, peppermint extract and food coloring. Mix. Spread over cooled brownies and refrigerate until hard on top.

3) To make chocolate topping microwave chocolate chips and butter for 2 minutes (if halving the recipe, only do this for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes). Stir until all chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Add 1-2 tsp. peppermint extract. As soon as this mixture thickens and is no longer hot, spread over mint topping on brownies. Put back into the refrigerator until hard.








7 comments:

Tasha said...

That's heaven on a computer screen... will remember this for this weekend when I'm in desperate need of something completely satisfying and equally not healthy.

Bamamoma said...

I don't know. I can't imagine liking mint and chocolate. Do you think I could do it without adding the peppermint or would that just ruin the whole thing? Furthermore, could I blaspheme and make a brownie recipe other than Phil's? I'm in a moral dilemma here.

Maybe you'll just have to make me some thereby solving my moral dilemma and forcing me to try the mint version. :)

Harmony said...

My mom has made a similar recipe since I was a kid--except the brownies are made from scratch and the chocolate topping is made with cocoa and melted shortening. It's always been a favorite of mine. I'll have to try yours and see how they compare. You never can try too many brownies. Although I got a kick out of your New Year's resolution. :-)

Carol said...

This was an interesting post for me. I put me in a dilemma that I could only address by making the brownies! My ward in Littleton has a tradition of a Labor Day BBQ. I had already signed up to bring a dessert and promised the Young Women in our ward that I would bring my Quadruple Chocolate Brownies that my friend (who happens to be our Stake Young Women's President) describes as injecting chocolate directly into her veins.

So, you can see my dilemma. I have a new recipe at hand and have a promise in the other. What is a person to do? Well, I created a 'brownie smorgasbord'. I made 3 types of brownies. My Quad Chocolate, your Mint ones, and caramel brownies.

When I got to the party there were soooo many desserts that I was sure I would be leaving with most of mine. That wasn't the case. I came home with none - it was a big hit!

I couldn't help but think of you Charlotte. I think a brownie smorgasbord is what your next New Year's breakfast should be! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Um. those look amazing.

Laura said...

Um. those look amazing.

D-dawg said...

It's good to half the recipe. A whole double batch is sooo dangerous! I'm glad you liked them. They are my favorite favorite favorite. YUM! I need some right now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...