Sunday, September 13, 2009

unexpected joy

quirky 9-09
Around a year ago, I became a mother.

"Nice" doesn't even begin to cover it.


As I've reflected on the past year, I've been surprised at the number of aspects of motherhood that are different from what I was expecting.


Here are a few of them:

I thought I would mind changing diapers more than I do.

* * *

Before Heather was born, I would guess that Eric and I had disagreed with each other a total of probably three or four times. After Heather was born? . . . Well, let's just say that there's been a lot of compromisin' on the road to our horizon.*

I wasn't really expecting that.

* * *

I didn't know that spoon-feeding and cutting food up into bite-sized pieces would get sooo old soooo quickly. (Sigh.)

* * *

Much to my surprise, I found that I relish nursing. In fact, once the frequency diminished considerably from those "at-least-every-three-hours" days, I started counting the time I spent nursing Heather as some of the very best moments in my day.

* * *

I was stunned (and discouraged) to discover what my body does when it isn't able to get more than three consecutive hours of sleep. In Heather's first few weeks of life, I would keep track of the sleep that I was getting, and when I added it all up (naps included), I found that I was often getting as much or nearly as much as in my pre-Heather days. Man, oh man, though, the results manifested in my life were NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same. I was grouchy, tired, irritable, emotional, and often felt as if I was clinging to my sanity by the skin of my teeth. (remember?) I honestly don't know how I would have survived if Heather hadn't learned to sleep for several hours at a time at a relatively young age.

Along that same line, I was shocked at how much difference it made when I was able to sleep for five or six hours in a row, uninterrupted. Even now, (nearly nine months after Heather started sleeping for seven hours at a time), sometimes I wake up in the morning and am thrilled to realize that once again, I've been able to stay in my very own bed all night long.

* * *

I was not expecting to feel so much joy as I saw Eric play with, read to, bathe, care for, and otherwise love our daughter.

quirky 9-09

But, most of all, and most importantly of all, I was completely floored by how much and how soon and how deeply and how unconditionally and how blindly and how joyfully I could love our precious little girl.

I know I say this often, and perhaps I say it too much. All the same, I'm saying it again.



quirky blogged 8-09


I didn't know it would (or could) be this good.



*can you name the song that contains this phrase? 10 points are waiting for the person who can.

8 comments:

Tasha said...

Congrats!!

Yea, that whole we see eye to eye with our spouse thing is funny with kids....

As a side note, I didn't have a clue considering the lyrics to the song, but I googled it and your blog is the second entry, if the lyrics aren't in quotes. I laughed a bit at that.

Donna said...

I think it is actually a "load" of compromising...and it's from Rhinestone Cowboy.

Charlotte said...

Nice work Donna!

You're right, it is a "load" of compromising.

Trust the Country Music Connesseiur (sp?) to come through!

125azul said...

I forget when or why I started following your blog, but it was well before you became pregnant. For whatever reason, I rarely comment. But today I just had to say Happy Birthday to those beautiful blue eyes, and to say thank you, Charlotte, for sharing all the beauty that you share, with such generosity. Many hugs, and may God continue to bless you and your family :)

Rebbie Becky said...

Happy Birthday to Heather!!!!

Harmony said...

Happy birthday to cute little Heather!

And thanks for the blast from the past. I haven't thought about "Rhinestone Cowboy" in forever. I am far from being a country music connoisseur, but there's a connection between that song and my childhood. Wish I could remember why. :-)

Charlotte said...

Azul,

No, thank YOU for caring enough about our very ordinary lives to tune in to see what we're up to. Your comment made my day. (and it was already a pretty darn good day)

Harm,

One year for our family reunion, (when I was like 14 or so), we all stood up in cowboy hats and plaid vests that my mom had made, and sang "I'm a Rhinestone Corry" for all our relatives. That's the link between that song and MY childhood.

Let me know if you remember yours, eh?

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I relate to the things that you learned. Compromise, compromise, compromise!!! Being a mom is better than I ever imagined. Having two is even more fun! Seriously. I love having two (after about 6 months).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...