Monday, August 24, 2009

The Green Stuff that Delights

quirky 8-09



LAST NOVEMBER, A WEEK OR SO BEFORE ERIC'S BIRTHDAY
(betcha can't believe I can remember that far back, huh?)


Scene: The living room. It's evening, probably a weekend, and Charlotte and Eric are chillin'. Heather has probably already gone to bed, as we don't hear her vying for the attention of either of her parents.

Charlotte: Hey, what do you want to do for your birthday?

Eric: Umm, what do you mean?

Charlotte: Like, do you want a party? Do you want to invite a couple over for dinner? Do you want to spend it with your family? What?

Eric: Oh, I don't know.

pause

Eric: What do you want to do for my birthday?

Charlotte (with a touch of exasperation): No see, it's your birthday. It doesn't matter what I want to do. Besides, I don't really care. It's totally up to you.

Eric: Well, let me think about it, and I'll get back to you.

Charlotte: Okay.



END SCENE

* * *

A FEW DAYS LATER

It might be important to note that a few days previous to this conversation, Charlotte had made guacamole as a special treat (Don't get too excited. It was the kind of guacamole that you make by mashing up an avacado and dumping a 99 cent mix into it). Said guacamole was immediately scarfed down by Charlotte and Enrique.

Eric: Hey, I've decided what I want for my birthday.

Charlotte: Oh Yeah?

Eric: Yup! Guacamole!

Charlotte (incredulously): Guacamole? That's it? No tacos? Nothing but guacamole?

Eric: Yup. Just guacamole.

Charlotte: Okay, I'll get some tomatoes and spices and stuff.

Eric (a little crestfallen): Umm, really? Can't you just do it with that mix, and skip the tomatoes and stuff?

Charlotte (incredulously again): The 99 cent mix in the grocery store?

Eric (unsure of himself now): Uh, yeah. Is that okay?

Charlotte (inwardly rejoicing at the 20 minutes of chopping and washing that she just avoided): Sure. You got it.

* * *

A FEW NIGHTS AGO

Charlotte has again made guacamole, but there are no chips. No matter. She and Eric enjoy their fine delight on toasted white bread.

Eric: You know, I could eat this every night for dinner.

Charlotte: For how long?

Eric: At least a week. . . And then I could add cheese to it! A whole new meal!

* * *


Oh yeah, dinner in the Cantwell home just got a whole lot easier.







4 comments:

Chelsie said...

I knew I liked Eric for a reason! I too, am a lover of guacamole!

Also, I've been meaning to ask for an invite to your Heather blog. So this is me asking.

my email is chelsie.w.young@gmail.com

Tasha said...

Gotta love the simple hits at dinner time. They are my favorite!!!

Jake said...

That picture makes me wish we still had a Smiths across the street. Alas Melissa doesn't like guac and we both know how lazy I am so I don't get it too much.

Harmony said...

Sounds delish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...