Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Motel C

[picture]



We're nearly a regular hotel these days, and I'm lovin' it.

About a week ago, my cousin called to say that she'd be in town for a conference, and could she spend a couple of nights on our couch? Naturally, I was okay with that. As luck would have it, she got (officially) engaged the day before she arrived, so in addition to catching up on family stuff, we were able to talk about the excitement of her upcoming wedding, her fiance, and all that jazz. Eric and I did what we swore we'd never do, and dumped all kinds of unsolicited advice on her.

Hopefully she let most of it go in one ear and out the other.

It got me thinking. As the three of us were talking, Eric and I would banter back and forth a little bit, mildly disagreeing/teasing about this and that, and I would look to her and say,



"Two years!"
" This is YOU in two years!"


And it probably is. But really, is that so bad?

After all, I remember our glossy rosy newly-wedded days:


  • When I thought it was fun to have Hideous Higgins living semi-permanently in our living room.
  • When I would look at worn-but-not-exactly-dirty-socks on the stairs and think, "How nice it is to have this reminder that my handsome prince is living here with me".
  • When Eric used to think that my (semi-neurotic) worrying was endearing and not even the least bit troublesome.

Now the honeymoon is over, and well, things are a little different.

Different, but in about a million ways, oh so much better.

  • Better because I know many of Eric's faults and love him all the same.
  • Better because Eric knows that I'm no walk in the park myself, and he still wants to walk with me anyway.
  • Better because we can share together the absolute joy of watching our baby turn into a toddler, with all the accompanying discoveries that she makes.
  • Better because we've still got each other's backs, but now we know a bit more about the person whose back we have.

Better.




As it turns out, the Cantwell hotel is still open for one more night. Tonight my parents will be breaking their journey home from Yellowstone on our air mattress. I'm looking forward to that.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...