Wednesday, June 24, 2009

chapter




Just over two weeks ago, our stake had a little bit of a "shake-up". Essentially, they (whoever "they" consists of) took four wards in our area and made five. As part of the shake-up, we were put into a never-before-created ward, received a new Bishop, a new Relief Society President, some new ward clerks, and (and this is the entire reason I'm even mentioning this), a new Young Men's President.

Yup my dearies, Enrique is no longer the Young Men's President in our ward. To quote something I heard Uncle Lee say (years before he was my Uncle Lee), I have mixed feelings about this.

I vacillate between ecstasy and elation.

No, that's too strong. The fact is, I have loved getting to know the boys in our ward. I have loved seeing Eric interact with them. I have loved watching them grow from goofy semi-clueless kids to respectable responsible potential missionaries (with just enough goofiness retained for added adorability). I have loved the zany messages that have been left on our answering machine from boys and other leaders alike. Most of all though, I have loved watching my Eric grow and become more confident through this opportunity that he was given.

Photobucket

It hasn't all been love and roses though. Quite frequently, Eric's presence was required at more meetings than I thought strictly necessary. Far more often than I would like to admit, I would find myself murmuring about that, as well as some other aspects of the situation that I didn't particularly enjoy.

That was kind of a surprise to me. I mean, I never planned on being a murmuring wife you know? I planned on being a supportive-you-do-what-the-Lord-asks-of-you-Honey-and-I'm-behind-you-all-the-way wife.

Funny that. I guess Eric wasn't the only one who had opportunities to grow.

Anyway, the "Eric is Young Men's President" chapter is over now. It was a good chapter. It was a chapter of learning and trying and struggling and laughing. It was a chapter that yielded us the best pizza crust recipe we've found so far (note to the Packers: yours is a close second, really). It was a chapter of giving broad obnoxious smiles, and getting shy embarrassed smiles back in return.* It was a chapter of growth.

All murmuring aside, It was a good chapter.

I hope we get more like it.

(Just--maybe not immediately. You know?)




*Actually, that part of the chapter is probably not over yet. At least I hope not.

5 comments:

Ryan + Angie said...

Congratulations on getting your husband back.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask to be put on your private list...angie.olsen@usu.edu

:)

Jodi said...

I hear you loud and clear on this one. We live in one of those types of stakes. They have done one shake up and we are currently in the newly created ward. There is talk of another. I being the murmuring YW Pres. have been guilty of hoping for just the situation you find yourself in. Probably not going to happen just because I am so naughty.

I also would like to be on your list jodannyaustin@gmail.com

Bamamoma said...

Excitement! I hear you about the murmuring. I've surprised myself a time or twenty and then I always think of President Monson saying that he's never heard Frances complain about him being gone. Then I feel guilty. I shared this with my mom and she said, "of course he hasn't heard her complain, he's gone!" chuckle.

Harmony said...

So are you going to share the best pizza crust recipe then?

Charlotte said...

Harmony,

Sure Thing!

Eric's Favorite Pizza Crust
(Recipe from Brian Palmer, made frequently by the Young Men of the _______ Ward)(notes in parenthesis by Charlotte)

(recipe can be halved for small families of 3 or less people)

2 cups flour (plus more later)
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp quick acting yeast
½ tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 Tbs olive oil (or 1 ½)

Mix all ingredients. Dough will be very sticky. Gradually add enough extra flour so that the dough is the right consistency. Knead for a few minutes(I just do it all in the kitchen-aid, so I let the kitchen-aid do the kneading), then cover and let rise for 10 minutes or so. Roll out onto floured surface, and shape into pizza shape. (Eric likes it if you roll the dough as thin and you can possibly get it.)

Top with sauce (I like to use regular tomato sauce with a bit of dried oregano and dried garlic mixed in), then cheese, and then toppings. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, more if your crust is thicker, or until the crust is just starting to turn brown. Remove from oven, let sit for about 5 minutes, and serve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...