Sunday, May 17, 2009

united eternally

"The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally."
(The Proclamation on the Family, 3rd paragraph)


When Eric asked me to marry him, I was so excited about the (beautiful) ring and the fact that we were really getting engaged that I didn't focus all that much on the actual words that he said. Two and a half years later, it's kind of a blur. I remember him dropping to one knee, and saying something about loving me, and enjoying being together, and a few other (hazily-detailed) things that I'm not going to share here. One thing I do remember is that when he actually asked the big question, rather than saying the words that I expected, ("Will you marry me?") He said something infinitely better. ("Will you be my wife for eternity?")


I said yes. Yes to being his wife, and yes to eternity.


So, we were married in one of the holy temples. While there, we participated in one of the sacred ordinances and made some of the sacred covenants that are spoken of in the paragraph above.


As it turns out, the marrying part was easy. Our wedding weekend is one of my all-time favorite memories. We were surrounded by beloved friends and family, I felt about as beautiful as I've ever felt, Eric was incredibly handsome, and we were both deliriously happy. We received a living room's worth of gifts, and were able to eat the best chocolate cake I've ever had.


The eternity part is quite a bit more difficult, but ever so much more rewarding. Post-marriage, I find that there are (still) days when it seems as if the difficulties of life are conspiring against me. (who knew that such days would continue to be a part of my happily ever after?) On those days, I don't feel beautiful or deliriously happy, and I'm often tempted to take out my frustrations by snapping at my Eric, or pouting in his general direction. Sometimes I successfully fight the temptation, and (unfortunately) sometimes I don't.

But Eric and I are married for eternity. So, we say "I'm sorry" often, and "that's okay" often, and "I love you all the same" the most often of all.


We say and do other things to help us along the road to eternity as well. After two years and one month as a couple with just eight of those months as parents, we're still pretty green. We're far from expert in the field of blissful family relations, but we do have our days of gloriousness, and we're learning how to manage the days of not-so-much gloriousness.


Little by little, we're learning, and I think we're getting better.


As it turns out, for us, little by little works just fine.


After all, we have eternity.




(For more of my writings along this line, click on the label "Family Proclamation" on the sidebar. I've written about the Proclamation on the Family a few times before, and I'm planning to write about it from time to time for the next little while.)

1 comment:

Bamamoma said...

This is awesome! Can I share it with my Laurel class this Sunday? The lesson just happens to be on the difference between a wedding and a temple marriage. You are cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...