Thursday, May 28, 2009

lovin' what I've got, when I've got it


When I was in high school, I weighed about thirty pounds less than I do now.


I thought I was fat.


A few years ago I was looking through some old pictures from that time, and realized that I had wasted a lot of time in those days not enjoying something that I would have given a lot to have again.


I determined that I was going to try to avoid that from then on.



waaay more than thirty pounds ago



At the time I had this epiphany, I was single. I was lonely for the kind of relationship that you get in a marriage, and I ached to hold my children in my arms and snuggle them at bedtime.



Still, I had a job I enjoyed, a circle of friends that was better in quality and quantity than anything I deserved, a very supportive and fun-doesn't-even-begin-to-describe-it family, and opportunities upon opportunities to play and work and serve and learn.



I decided that I didn't want to look back on these years and regret not enjoying them. So I enjoyed them.



I'll be honest . . . I enjoyed the heck out of them.



I'm happy to say that now when I look back at that time of my life, I honestly have very few regrets.



Now several years later, I find that there are again things/situations/blessings that I would like and don't (yet?) have.



But man! I have the most adorable daughter in the Western Hemisphere. I have a job that gives me the flexibility to take care of her (or know that others who love her dearly are caring for her) and help provide for the needs of our family. I have kind and generous neighbors, good parents and parents-in-law, and (and this is huge) I have true love.



So, it occurs to me that this would be a good time for me to get off the computer and get about the business of enjoying my grand life.

If you'll excuse me . . .




Oh-and there's that laundry on the couch too.








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...