Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"I say that to myself every morning"

It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is.
It all works out. Don’t worry.
I say that to myself every morning.
It will all work out.
Put your trust in God,
and move forward with faith
and confidence in the future.
The Lord will not forsake us.
He will not forsake us.
If we will put our trust in Him,
if we will pray to Him,
if we will live worthy of His blessings,
He will hear our prayers.
Gordon B. Hinckley, “Put Your Trust in God,” Ensign, Feb 2006, 63




I have loved this quote since I first read it, back in the winter of 2006. I framed it (very amateurishly), and it used to hang in the yellow room--back when the yellow room was more like my second bedroom and less like Heather's room. Now it's in the bathroom. On mornings when I'm feeling a little more anxious than I want to feel, I read it out loud (softly) to myself. Then I usually feel better.


A few months ago I took a sheet of copy paper and a sharpie, and wrote in big letters,




"It all works out.

Don't worry."

-Gordon B. Hinckely




Then I pinned it to the ceiling of our bedroom, right over my side of the bed. Many mornings it's the first thing I see. Eric makes fun of me (and I don't mind), but I figure it like this:




If President Hinckley, one of the most optimistic and positive human beings that I've ever witnessed, felt the need to remind himself every morning that it all works out and that he shouldn't worry, then there is certainly no shame in me doing the same.




Interestingly, having that little reminder really helps.



* * *



We're good. We had a lovely weekend, one of visiting family and playing games, picnics at the park, seeing my dad (who looks healthier and healthier every time I see him and is back to smiling with his eyes again), and discovering that we can get authentic agua de melon (and other fresh-as-they-come juices) less than a mile from our house. Hooray! I need mourn the loss of my taco dive no more!


6 comments:

Kami Anderson said...

Thanks Charlotte! How did you know I needed that today?

amy greenway said...

Wait, is there a new taco dive as good as the old taco dive?

Rebbie Becky said...

Such an awesome quote. I love it!

Charlotte said...

Amy--

Yes, but I don't think we can really call this one a taco "dive". It's where Kate's Kitchen used to be. The food is authentic (as evidenced by the fact that there was tongue on the menu, and our waitress didn't speak English) and delicious!

Jeri said...

you and signs on the ceiling - some things never change. (luckily) ... what can I say except "if it works, keep doing it!"

(love the quote btw. it may just have to find it's way to my ceiling.)

amy greenway said...

NICE! Serve me up some tongue!...or maybe just some carne asada.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...