Tuesday, May 19, 2009

And now, a Word from our Sponsor:

(Not really. This blog has no sponsor) (per se.)


Do any of you get emotionally attached to buildings? I'm not talking about the home you grew up in, or the school you attended (where you may or may not have received your first kiss while hanging out in the bushes at recess) or anything with obvious sentimental value like that. I'm talking about fairly random buildings.


I do, at least sometimes.



This is a building that I'm attached to. It's not much to look at, is it? The parking situation isn't anything to write home about either. So, why do I like it so much?










I'll tell you. This building has been home to at least four different restaurants (that I can think of) in the past ten years. Without exception, in this building the food has been absolutely delicious, the service has been quick and courteous, and the cost-benefit ratio has been primissimo*.



My first memory of the place is when it housed a little tacqueria that had formerly been in a taco truck. I have no memory of what the name of that restaurant was, because forever in my mind, it was just the taco dive. Regardless of what the actual name of the establishment was, (something with the name Jacob in it comes to mind, but I might just be accidentally making that up) as far as I was concerned, it was forever the taco dive.



That all may have to change though. Recently a new establishment has opened up shop in my beloved taco dive, and get this: They don't serve a single taco. Ono Kine Grinds (whatever those are), yes. Delicious short ribs, yes. Some of the best french fries within a 30 mile radius**, heck yes. Tacos?



Nope.
















Surprisingly, as it turns out, I'm okay with that.




As you might have guessed, Eric and I recently patronized the place formerly known as the taco dive for a quick Saturday afternoon date.

We had a plate of short ribs, a huge sandwich made of melt-in-your-mouth shredded pork, two drinks, a scoop of some of the best pasta salad I've ever had, and enough french fries to keep us both happy, even though only Eric actually ordered fries with his meal.



It was mmm-mmmm- deee-licious.



Total Cost: $13.85



Now, if I could just figure out what I will call it. "The Island Grill Dive" just doesn't do it for me, ya know?








*My own word--a combination of "primo" and "buenissimo"

**No fry sauce though. Sigh.

*** You can't tell from the picture, but those are overalls AND capris. Call the fashion police, I think I've just committed the unpardonable sin.

3 comments:

Bamamoma said...

Hmmm, it sounds like we know where you and I are having lunch in July! Cool.

Scott and Amy said...

My sister brought us down food from "Pounders" last week. We love that yummy Hawaiian cuisine! Good stuff!

michellejohnnie said...

I will have to try this place out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...