Thursday, April 23, 2009

pain & perspective

Monday morning I woke up with a bit of a stiff neck. The next morning at 5:30 a.m. I woke up in agonizing pain. Well, it wasn't agonizing pain when you compare it to the ache of a tooth (me last December), the ache of an eye infection (me in the ninth grade), or the ache of natural childbirth (me never--I hope). All the same, it was pain and I didn't like it. I took some Aleve and prayed that my shoulder, neck, and back muscles would relax their way back to normal.

They didn't, and I spent much of Tuesday morning feeling bad for myself, and making exaggerated groaning sounds every time I was within Eric's earshot.

One of the issues at hand was that I was scheduled to sing at an assisted living center in our neighborhood. I thought about cancelling, but I decided against it. So, at 10:00 a.m., I gathered up Heather's car seat, complete with Heather inside, and (wincing all the while) we drove the four blocks to the center.

It all turned out to be a lovely experience. My song went quite well, and I was followed by one of my neighbors, who gave a message based on some words and experiences recorded by Joseph Smith. As I alternated between listening to her and trying to keep a very busy Heather occupied on my lap, I glanced around at the residents surrounding me. As I looked them over, I realized that they had possibly also been awakened that morning in pain, pain that might have been truly agonizing. I realized that it was likely that many of them woke up in pain more often than they woke up pain-free. I felt guilty for my whiny-ness, and I took a moment to be grateful. Grateful that I generally woke up feeling pretty good, and grateful that I had been given the opportunity to see my situation in a different light.

And I resolved that I wouldn't complain anymore.

Unfortunately, I forgot that resolution when, still in pain, I misjudged the size of my car door yesterday, and hit myself right in the left eye, leaving a very nice bruise that if you didn't know better, you might think was my return to 80's purple eyeliner.

Oh well.

I'm feeling much better today, I think by tomorrow or Saturday I should be back to normal.

And that's all I have to say about that.





In other news, life is good. Eric's a week away from graduating, Heather is learning that she can roll to get where she wants and what she wants. I've moved all the cleaning agents to the top shelves, and covered all the electrical outlets with those plastic pluggy-thingies. At this precise moment, Eric is up changing Her Little Highness, and from the sound of things, I'm guessing that I just got out of the messiest diaper of the day.



Indeed, life is good.

2 comments:

Kami Anderson said...

It's true that you don't have to look far to find someone who is worse off than you. How is your neck doing now??

Charlotte said...

Not quite back to normal, but definitely getting there.

Sounds like you had quite the adventure today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...