Sunday, April 26, 2009

heirs to eternal life

"In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life. "

(The Proclamation on the Family, 2nd paragraph)


That's kind of a long sentence. Often, when I read sentences that are that long, I either break it down into smaller ideas so that I can wrap my head around them, or just give up altogether and move on to another sentence. In this case, I'll choose the "break it down" route.

So, in my opinion, this sentence says:


1. There was a place where we all lived before this life.
2. I, as well as my spirit brothers and sisters knew my Father in Heaven and worshiped him.
3. We (my spirit brothers and sisters and I) accepted a plan that Heavenly Father presented to us.
4. The plan included a way for us to get a physical body, and to have some experiences on earth.
5. Those experiences would help us on the road to perfection.
6. Ultimately, those experiences could (depending on the decisions we would make on earth) allow us to obtain eternal life.


As I break it all down, there are some marvelous ideas contained in that sentence. I love to think about our Father in Heaven presenting this plan to us, and then allowing us to choose, rather than just rounding us all up around Him, and saying, "Okay, this is how it's going to be."

I love knowing that the experiences I'm having here on earth aren't just random occurrences in my life, but have been and continue to be given to me specifically--a kind of "individualized coursework" if you will.

I love knowing that Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ have made it possible for me to live with them and with my loved ones again, and forever.


Forever.





(For more of my writings along this line, click on the label "Family Proclamation" on the sidebar. I've written about the Proclamation on the Family a few times before, and I'm planning to write about it from time to time for the next little while.)

2 comments:

Bamamoma said...

Well stated Char! It reminds me of the scripture in Romans that says that we are "heirs" and "joint-heirs" with Christ. I marvel that He who was/is perfect allows me with all my imperfection to be a joint-heir Him. Grace, definitely grace!

Tonya said...

Beautifully written. I could feel the spirit while reading it. What a beautiful plan we have been given.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...