Sunday, March 15, 2009

Music and the Spoken Word

Our ward meets for church from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Eric has leadership meetings starting at 8:00 a.m. Heather generally wakes up between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. So, Sunday mornings are often a nice time for me to casually get Heather and myself ready for church, without the hustle and bustle of the other days of the week.

Today, as I was ironing my blouse and skirt, (I hate ironing, and rarely do it. Only, today I wore a skirt that I hadn't worn since I unpacked it from the "I'm-putting-this-away-until-I-can-fit-into-clothes-that-aren't-maternity-size" box, and it was more wrinkly than even I could allow.) I was listening to Music and the Spoken Word on the Radio. One of the songs the choir sang was one I sang my junior year in High School. Another of the offerings was an organ arrangement of "All Through the Night", which I've started to sing to Heather at bedtime every once in a while. Nice to have those associations, don't you think?

The spoken word portion of the program focused on having a good attitude, and how finding time and reasons to laugh helps us physically as well as emotionally, socially, and spiritually. As I listened to it, I thought back over the many times in the previous week that I had laughed. It was a good week for laughter. I'll share just one of the experiences.

Friday night Eric and I went out for dinner. I was in a particularly good mood. It was my birthday, work had gone well, we had left Heather with Donna & Steve, and that had been accomplished with no tears. We had paid for our dinner with a gift card, and so I had enjoyed the thrill of ordering whatever I wanted from the entire menu, without feeling the least twinge of guilt whatsoever (That was huge. It's like my mom said when I told her about it--anyone can order whatever they want from the menu--but to do it without any guilt at all? That's a pretty rare occurrence.)

Anyway, dinner was over, and Eric and I decided to go to Best Buy for just a few minutes before we headed back to pick up Heather. Our restaurant shared a (rather large) parking lot with Best Buy, and so I demanded that we walk to the store, rather than drive. That might have been a mistake. It was FREEZING outside. In an effort to keep ourselves warm, and hearkening back to a conversation we'd had over dinner about odd Olympic sports, Eric challenged me to a speed walking contest. I accepted, and away we went. The thing is, I'm about an inch taller than Eric, and my legs are longer. But, he still smoked me. I'm tellin' you, that boy can walk! I'm kind of glad though, because being behind him gave me an amazing view of his (ahem) derriere. As he swung it from side to side, the way they do in the Olympics, I couldn't help myself. I burst out in long, loud, obnoxious laughter. The few people who were braving the freezing weather along with us looked at us with disdain, but for once, I didn't care. I just stood there and giggled at my man. It felt WONDERFUL.

And there you have it. It's 10:42, and I need to get on my shoes, put my little girl in her car seat, and head for the church where I'm assuming that Eric has saved us some space on the fourth row as usual. Happy Sunday to you.

-Charlotta

1 comment:

amy greenway said...

You know Eric gets this from Mom Cantwell, right? TOTALLY! And he's been preparing for your Friday night race for years. We used to try to out-walk my mom...fruitless effort!

I am so glad you had a good hard laugh and a happy b-day! I tried to call to wish you belated congrats but you were gone. I'll keep trying.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...