Sunday, February 01, 2009

who says "by crackie" anymore anyway?

If you've been reading this blog for more than a year or so, or if you've gone back and read in the archives, then you will have already read this story. All the same, I'm telling it again . . .








A couple of years ago, I had a conversation that means more to me now than it did then.


You know how sometimes that happens?


Anyway, it was with one of my voice teachers. She was a wonderfully eccentric lady, free-spirited and fun, quick to speak her mind, kind of quirky, and happily married. I don't know if she had married late or just had kids a little bit later in life, but when I knew her, she had an seven-year old boy and a four-year old girl. She was probably in her mid to late forties at the time of the conversation in question.


Anyway, we were talking about the events of the day, and she was telling me about how she had gone to a concert that afternoon to see her kids perform. As she was describing the event, she included a description of her conduct during the concert. Specifically, she said that she had taken the video camera, and was climbing over other parents and audience members, most of whom were at least 10 years younger than she was, in an attempt to get the best shots of her little darlings.


She showed no remorse for doing any of this, and as she told her story, she laughed at her conduct, saying, "I know they all thought I was crazy at the best, and rude at the worst, but you know, I waited a long time for these kids! I'm going to enjoy them!"



I realize that there are FAR more pictures of Heather on this blog than are dictated by the bounds of good taste. I do. I am also acutely aware that there are billions of children out there, most, if not all of whom are just as cute, interesting, adorable, etc., as my Heather. (Well, at least to the unbiased observer. Not so much to me. )


All the same, I just can't help myself. I have to post Heather pictures. I have to tell Heather stories. I'm helplessly and hopelessly in love with my little girl, and I have no desire to even try to fight it.


Cut me some slack though, will ya? I'm thirty-seven-and-a-half years old. Heather is my firstborn child. I'll celebrate my second wedding anniversary in two-and-a-half months.


I spent years and years hoping that and wondering if I would one day find myself in the glorious situation in which I currently reside.



Know what? It's every bit as good as I ever dreamed it would be, and more and more and more.



And by crackie, I'm enjoying it.



The pictures are a farewell. The yellow dress was a gift that I've had since before Heather was born. It is my absolute favorite article of clothing in our entire house. Heather has worn this dress time after time after time, but the fact is, she has outgrown it (as you can see by the photos), and I need to pack it away. Today was the final donning of the exquisite yellow dress. I consoled myself by taking these pictures, and once I had the pictures, I further consoled myself by posting a few.

Thank you for your indulgence.







7 comments:

Melissa said...

She looks so cute. I love her little smile and the dress is so precious. I think I would have a hard time packing up such a cute little dress.

Bamamoma said...

So cute, who could blame you. For the record, while there are some kids as cute as our little Heather (yeah, Eden and I have adopted her as our own), there can't be many any cuter.

Jake said...

I think she's pretty cute and I don't recall any "ugly baby" pictures that she has to grow out of so she already has a leg up on much of the competition (though Kristian has certainly grown out of his "ugly baby" stage).

I'm pretty sure Melissa would cry if she had to put away that dress, especially in her emotionally charged state.

Ryan + Angie said...

I love that first picture. It melted my heart and I have two kids of my own with equally cute smiles! :)

Kami Anderson said...

Please share all you want. You have waited a long time for this and you should enjoy every moment!! Besides who wouldn't want to show off pictures of such an absolutely beautiful little girl? I love the yellow dress and all her fun facial expressions.

Laura said...

She's really beginning to look like you!!!

corrie said...

She is adorable. And the dress is beautiful! I never really liked yellow, but just in the last two weeks or so I've found myself looking for yellow things. Bowls, ribbon, paint colors...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...