Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's the storm not you, that's bound to blow away

I haven't been feeling as saucy this week as perhaps I was feeling last week. In fact, for a few days now, I've been feeling downright anxious. When I feel like that, I don't much feel like writing.

It's not that anything is really wrong--in fact, most things are really quite right. I have a beautiful daughter, a home and temporal situation that is more than sufficient for my needs, and I wake up every morning with my best friend right beside me. Honestly, does it get much better than that? I'm guessing that if the answer to that question is "yes", it's only marginally so.

Yet far too often, I succumb to pessimism and anxiety. I look to the future when I would be better served to live in the present. I let the uncertainties of the economy and other unknowables rob me of the peace of mind that my life and faith will afford me, if I will only allow them to do so.

Silly Charlotte.

Not that I'm up in arms all the time. Oh no, we still have plenty of laughter at the old homestead, and there are silvery jewel moments that I plan to treasure for years. Just this afternoon, I had one as I got Heather up from her nap. As I paraded her around the nursery, she became fixated on my chin. Time and time again she would lunge for it, mouth open, eyes wild with determination. Sometimes she would catch it, and when she did, she hung on for dear life (thankfully, she is yet to have any teeth in that little mouth of hers). I laughed so hard, I had tears coming out of my eyes. What a funny little girl.

And that's where we stand at the moment. I'll leave you for now with a few lyrics, quotes, and scriptures that I've been repeating to myself when I'm in need of a little added comfort.

Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not dismayed.
For I am Thy God, and will still give thee aid.
I'll strenghten thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot desert to its foes
That soul though all hell should endeavor to shake
I'll never, no never, no never forsake.
--John Rippon

* * *

Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.
--Doctrine and Covenants 123:17

* * *

It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out.
--Gordon B. Hinckley


10 points for the name of the song.
5 points for the name of the musical
3 points for the name of the character that sings the song in the musical.
Other points awarded as whims dictate.
(No points for knowing the name of the hymn quoted--don't even try it!)

6 comments:

Jeri said...

doggone it ! another one I didn't know! (i have looked it up though, so I know it now... too bad that doesn't count eh?)I've never even seen this one or listened to the soundtrack, but I LOVE the book!

Bamamoma said...

I'm glad Heather knows to hang on to a good thing when she gets it. :) She must get that from her mama.

Sorry, I didn't know this one either. I looked it up though and so now I know it.

Harmony said...

I like musicals, but I'll probably never even score in this game. I have seen this musical, but didn't remember this song. Great lyrics though. Thanks for sharing them and your thoughts, as always.

Ryan + Angie said...

This is one of my favorites. It's from Secret Garden and the nanny named Martha sings it. It think it is called Hold On. Yeah! I may finally be on the board!

amy greenway said...

OH man! A day late and a dollar short! I love that musical/book/movie(s). So good.

Charlotte said...

Congratulations Angie!! A sweep!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...