Sunday, January 04, 2009

September 23, 1995

Here are a few facts that may seem like they don't go together, but hang in there. (I'll tie it all up in the end.)


* * *

As you might remember from some of my other posts, I am currently serving in my ward as the Junior Primary Chorister. This month we started learning a new song. It's called "The Family is of God", and although it is not found in the regular Children's Songbook, you can hear it by clicking on a link found on this page. I might mention that I'm a big fan of this particular song.

* * *


As you enter our home, on the wall to your right, I've hung up a big family collage. It's one of my favorite things about our home (even though the pictures are rarely straight, as you can see). We have a picture of Eric, Me, & Heather in the center, surrounded by the most recent pictures taken of all of my parents' posterity and all of Eric's parents' posterity. There's a picture of Eric and I on our wedding day, and one of our engagement photos. There are pictures of all of my parents' grandchildren, and all of Eric's parents' grandchildren. There's a picture of me and all my siblings from when we were young (I think I was 13), as well as a picture of Eric and all his siblings when they were young (Eric looks to be about 13 as well). Those photos are paired with pictures of the family that are more recent. I think it's quite an interesting collection (if only to me), and as I said, it's one of my favorite things about our home.

To the right of the center picture is a framed copy of a Proclamation that was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley back in September of 1995 (September 23, to be exact). The theme of the proclamation is the family. It's kind of a long document (and can be read in its entirety here), but it's very meaningful to me, and it seems to become more and more meaningful to me each year.

* * *

(here's the tie-together)

* * *

As I was preparing to teach the children the words and music to the new song, I discovered that the lyrics are practically lifted right out of the Proclamation. I took our copy off the wall, and started reading it, studying it for the first time in several years. I'm glad that I did. Re-reading those words has helped me. I feel more solid, more secure. I don't know that I can (or want to) explain how or why exactly, but there you have it. I feel better having read these words.

And so, perhaps for the next little while, I'll be writing about the Proclamation from time to time, sharing a sentence here or there, and sharing my own thoughts, feelings, or experiences that relate. That is, unless I decide that this is just a whim, and I go back to my recent modus operandi (which would consist of me continuing to post picture after picture of our darling Heather). I guess we'll just have to see, won't we?

At any rate, since this introduction is already quite long, I'll just share one sentence. One of my very very favorite sentences from this timely, inspired document. Are you ready? Here it is:

The Family is ordained of God.


What that says to me is that when God designed this earth and put in place His plan for us all to come down here and have the experiences that we are having, He designed things in such a way so that we would live in families. It says to me that the fact that we are born into and essentially spend our lives in family groupings--that's no accident. It's the way God wants it to be, and when we cherish this for the gift that it is, we bring Him joy, and enable ourselves to experience even more joy than we otherwise would.

But more than all of that, it says to me that God knew that I would be unbearably lonely if He sent me down here without some kind of a support system, and while He did want me to have some hardship so that I would learn certain lessons, He didn't want me to have to endure it all completely alone all of the time. So God gave me (well, all of us, actually) families.

Why?


Because He Loves Us.


Happy Sunday,
-cc

2 comments:

Jeri said...

I love that song too! Last October when the friend came out, my sister called me and said, "have you played through the song yet? It is so great - it game me chills." I went right down to the piano and did my best to pluck through it. When I got to the chorus... well, my eyeballs started leaking...

Even now, when my kids sing it as I'm practicing the piano, I am touched each and every time. I just started teaching it yesterday too and I can't wait until it starts to really come together.

Bamamoma said...

I haven't heard it yet, I'll have to go check it out. I love that the Proclamation is now included in the Personal Progress book and is included in the supplemental materials for most Sunday lessons. It gives me a great opportunity to review it often. I think you are inspired to share you thoughts and experiences often. You are cool!

Off message, you may be interested (but not surprised) to hear that Eden has named one of her new dolls, "Heather." She is consistent. It is always the same one and if I forget she makes sure to tell me that her name is "Heather!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...