Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Proclamation-and my thoughts

"We the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

Those are the words that begin the Proclamation on the Family.

Sometimes I get to thinking about "the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." More specifically, I get to thinking about God's plan for me, and His plan for the people that make up my growing circle of friends and family.


I think about where I am now (happy, healthy, at peace), and the experiences that I've had that have led me here.
  • My mother taught me how to dust one afternoon, and I remember thinking that it was the most entertaining thing I'd ever done (I was seven).
  • My dad was my track coach, and even though he was very supportive and encouraging of all the other girls on the team, I always knew that he was my father first and the coach second.
  • I used to spend a week every summer at the home of one of my cousins. She introduced me to Hart's convenience store (where they had more flavors of soda than I had ever seen in one place before). As if that wasn't enough, her mom (my aunt) made the most delicious pancakes on Saturday mornings.
  • I used to sit in Sacrament Meeting with my brother, and we would fight. We had to be quiet about it, or we'd get in big trouble, so we'd sit there and write mean notes back and forth to each other. I used to get so mad on those days.
  • A few years ago, my mom and I planned a trip to Denver to visit my brother (the same one I would fight with in church) and his family who were living there at the time. We arranged it so we would arrive on the day of my oldest niece's dance recital, and her mother made it so it was a surprise for her and the other kids. Good times.
  • When I was talking to my mom a few days after I had met most of Eric's family for the first time, she asked me what they were like. I told her (in complete honesty), "Actually, they're basically like us."
  • During those (sometimes seemingly interminable) years when I was single, it seemed that often people were practically dropped right into my lap--people who turned out to be almost like family. I was generally short on "adopted" brothers, but I had sisters galore, both in quantity and quality. And then there were the grandfathers. I collected grandfathers the way some women collect shoes, and the way that all little boys collect rocks. Actually, I still do, but now they're more like uncles or fathers. It's wonderful.
These are just some random thoughts and experiences I've had over the years, but I think they've contributed, along with a million others like them, to the "who's" and "what's" of my situation now. So, yeah, I believe it. I agree with the First Presidency with all my heart. In every stage of life I've experienced so far, the family has been absolutely central to my joy, my learning, my life. I guess it only stands to reason that the family actually is central to the Creator's plan for my eternal destiny, and that of all His other children as well.


And those are my thoughts on that.


Happy Sunday.


(For more of my writings along this line, click on the label "Family Proclamation" on the sidebar. I've written about the Proclamation on the Family once before, and I'm planning to write about it a couple of times a month for the next little while.)

1 comment:

Cathy Adamkiewicz said...

There is so much good stuff here, but let me just say this:
I love to dust.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...