Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Good night baby, Good night, Milkman's on his way

So, as you may remember, before Heather was born, I thought up a few songs that I wanted to sing to her on a regular basis. As it turns out, I sing to Heather nearly every night, when I put her to bed. (Eric used to put her to bed about half the time, but the fact is, Heather hates bedtime, and Eric was developing a bit of a complex over the fact that she would cry semi-frequently when she was with him. He decided (and I went along with it) that he wanted a little break from the bedtime routine, so that perhaps we could get Heather to associate his presence with more happy experiences. So far, our plan seems to be working reasonably well)



Anyway, back to the issue at hand . . .



I sing to Heather nearly every night. Usually it's two songs. I start with Angel Lullaby, or I Feel My Savior's Love, or Baby Mine. Then I finish up with Suo Gan-one verse humming and one verse English (I haven't gotten around to tackling the Welsh yet).



The thing is, as much as I love these songs, after four months, I'm getting a little tired of them. I need some variety. I've added Teach Me to Walk in the Light to the line-up (or rotation, if you will), but it's just not enough. I need more.



My brother-in-law used to sing the theme from Cheers to my niece when he put her to bed. My cousin used to sing Piano Man to his kids when it was their bedtime. And, let's not forget, I have a nephew who for the first year or so of his life, could only be calmed by a rousing rendition of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Obviously, it's not a dearth of available songs that is the issue here, not in the least. And yet, in all the available songs, is there one that would be perfect for my Heather? A song that has slipped my mind? A song that I would love singing, Heather would love hearing, and Eric would smile at as it wafts its way to him over the baby monitor? Surely there must be.



So, for the first time that I can think of, dear readers, I'm directly asking you for your help. Oh sure, I've asked/allowed you to vote on what we should call our unborn daughter (and then Eric and I ended up disregarding your votes and named her a name that tied for last place in the poll). I've also given you the opportunity to win a prize by making a donation and then leaving a comment. But this time is different. This time, I'm coming right out and I'm asking for your advice. Nay, even more, I'm issuing the clarion call! Lurkers, regular commenters alike--come into the sun! Let your voice be heard! Please--I need your help! What song would you sing to your Heather if she were your Heather? No polls, no giveaways, no monetary donations. Just advice--pure counsel and advice.







I await your lullaby lovin' wisdom.


(It doesn't have to be an actual lullaby per se. I just like the way those two words-(lullaby & lovin') sound and look together.)

11 comments:

Bamamoma said...

Eden gets several songs at bedtime. Reverently, Quietly and Tell Me The Stories of Jesus are almost always among them. Lately (now that she can talk), she requests songs that have the name "Jesus" in them. So we do lots of those. She also love "I love to see the temple" and anything about family, daddy, mommy, baby, etc. Of course I have a few songs that I've made up and she loves those too. Hmmm, this isn't really what you asked for is it. I would sing "I lived in Heaven" to Heather. I think that would be just perfect for her (and oddly enough, it isn't one that I have ever sung to Eden).

Jeri said...

what about the "lullaby" from the movie 3 men and a baby? "Goodnight sweetheart" I think Eric would get a kick hearing you sing the "do do dee do do do dee do..." in your 'deep base' voice.
I took the liberty of looking up the words for you.

Do-do-dee-do-do
Good night, sweetheart
Well, it's time to go
Do-do-dee-do-do
Good night, sweetheart
Well, it's time to go
Do-do-do-do
I hate to leave you
But I really must say
Good night, sweetheart
good night

Well it's 3 o'clock
In the morning
Baby, I just can't
treat you right
Well, I hate to leave you baby
I don't mean maybe
Because I love you so
Do-do-dee, do-do-dee
do-do-dee-do-do

Well, it's time to go
Do-do-do-do
Good night, sweetheart
Well, it's time to go
Do-do-do-do
I hate to leave you
But I really must say
Good night, sweetheart
good night


I think that's about it - but you might want to watch the movie to make sure i got them right...(and you might have to tweak the line about "I just can't treat you right..." but I think it would be a fun song to sing! and I think Eric would smile listening.

hope you find your perfect song!

125azul said...

Me being me, I'd probably do a always changing medley of Wham! songs. Whatever puts a smile in your heart, and conveys that to your baby :)

Melissa said...

Our favorite is Stay Awake from Mary Poppins. Sometimes I find it commical that the words are the exact opposite of what I want them to do but for some reason, the kids have really latched onto it and want me to sing it to them every night. I like the tune and find it rather enjoyable to sing as well.

Tasha said...

You are going to get lines of songs if I can't remember the title - I'm sure because you have stellar genetics you will be able to figure it out -

I see my mother kneeling... (Priesthood Power maybe?)
Lullaby (starts Goodnight my angel)- Billy Joel
Oh Danny Boy
Abide with me tis eventide

There's a song in the Primary songbook with all the Christmas songs that is a beautiful lullaby that I would hum the tune to because I never took the time to learn the words - but it is very pretty.

I know in Enoch's family their dad used to sing Joy to sleep by making up different verses for in the leafy treetops - you're creative, you could do that too.

Hope this helps a little

amy greenway said...

"Mother, Tell Me the Story" is popular around here. There is one that I sing that I don't know the source on. Every time I sing it Nate asks me why they didn't put it in the Childrens Songbook. Funny guy. Anyway, it goes:

"Sometimes when I try to go to sleep, I can't settle down my hands and feet. Then mother will say let the sunshine run from your fingers and toes, close your eyes, think about something good.

And so I think about Jesus and how he loves me, and how I want to be near him someday. And when I think about Jesus I get the quietest feeling. I think that quietest feeling is peace."

Ring a bell?

Tami said...

I've always liked "Frosty the Snowman." But then, that's the only song I actually know more than one verse of. For awhile though I sang Charlie Daniel's Drinkin My Baby Good-bye to my oldest.

Victoria said...

I love 'Smile', which I believe was written long ago by Charlie Chaplin. I would sing it when I was trying to put them to sleep, or when they were fussy. I'm sure you're familiar with it, but the words are in part:

Smile, when your heart is breaking.
Smile, even though it's aching.
Smile, when there's clouds in the sky-you'll get by.

If you smile, through the tears and sorrow,
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through...
If you just smile.

Jake said...

If I had a kid that needed singing I would sing "leader of the Band". Now that is a good song, I don't care who you are.

Maybe you can work some superhero themes into the mix. Eric's got to have some of those down.

Jeri said...

I'VE got it!!! I was thinking this morning and the PERFECT song came to my mind! (and no, I do not spend ALL of my time thinking of your blog, I just stared singing this song this morning and I realized it just might be the ONE you are looking for.)
It is "What Heaven Sees in You" and can be found on the CD "Women of Destiny - Songs Celebrating the Relief Society Declaration"

You would change the tense of the 2nd and 3rd verses, since they haven't happened yet, of course. so instead of "you were led into the water" you would sing "you'll be led into the water," etc...
I think it is a beautiful song with a beautiful message. (but rule # 1, "opinions not necessarily accepted" is still in full force! Enough yammering... here are the words. I have the sheet music and the CD if you wanna drive down and take a gander/listen;)

What Heaven Sees In You
Doug Walker and Sherry Marks Walker

Sent to this earth, you were saved through the ages for this day and time.
Child of great worth, child of promise, daughter of the divine.
Pure and holy in a little white dress.
You were held in a circle and you were blessed.
And the Father looked down and the angels surrounded that place.
They knew the truth, all that you can do,
And you will too when you have eyes to see what Heaven sees in you.

Dressed in white once more, making promises to follow in God's way.
So much lies in store for the little girl who enters at the gate.
Pure and holy in a little white dress.
You enter the water and you are blessed.
And the Father looked down and the angels surrounded that place.
They knew the truth, all that you could do,
And you will too when you have eyes to see
What Heaven sees in you.

Do you understand who you are?
Part of the Father lives in you.
And if you continue on His path,
Every promise God has given will come true.

Heaven on earth in the House of God. So much fills your heart and mind.
Woman of great worth. Woman of promise. Daughter of the divine.
Pure and holy in a long white dress.
You promise forever and you are blessed.
And the Father looks down and the angels surround that place.
They know the truth; all that you will do.
And you do too, for you have eyes to see
What Heaven sees in you.

Tonya said...

Your readers have come through for you. Great ideas. I don't think I can top that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...