Monday, December 22, 2008

"I knew what he was when I picked him up"*

A few months ago (pre-Heather), Eric and I decided that we should move the computer from the "man room" upstairs to what passes for our dining room- downstairs.

(We made this decision because we figured that Eric would be spending quite a bit of time on the computer with his schoolwork, and that he would be able to be more involved with our growing family if the computer was housed in the main living area of our home. Our figuring turned out to be correct, and I'm grateful that we made this decision.)

When we (and by "we" I mean Eric, since I was under lifting restrictions at the time) moved everything downstairs, I said to my sweet man, the man I love, the man I've pledged to stand by through thick and thin and storms and sunshine,

"Now, this desk and stuff are in the main area of our house. We can't close the door to this room, and it's probably going to bug me if this becomes all cluttered and everything, so I'd like you to keep that in mind."



Okay?





I present you-the southwest corner of our dining room:

yes, that is a hanging lamp (among other things) you see under the desk.




Oddly enough, I'm only marginally bugged by all of this. I think that's a good sign, considering that I'm less than a year away from having a toddler underfoot. And let's be honest. Given the choice between living with Eric and his clutter, and living without Eric in a home that is as semi-organized as I usually keep it . . .



I'll choose Eric every single time.




(In the interest of fairness-I must admit that at least three items of clutter in the picture above are there because that's where I left them.)



Happy Monday to y'all.







*TITLE REFERENCE:

Many years ago, Indian youths would go away in solitude to prepare for manhood. One such youth hiked into a beautiful valley, green with trees, bright with flowers. There he fasted. But on the third day, as he looked up at the surrounding mountains, he noticed one tall rugged peak, capped with dazzling snow. I will test myself against that mountain, he thought. He put on his buffalo-hide shirt, threw his blanket over his shoulders and set off to climb the peak. When he reached the top he stood on the rim of the world. He could see forever, and his heart swelled with pride. Then he heard a rustle at his feet, and looking down, he saw a snake. Before he could move, the snake spoke: “I am about to die,” said the snake. “It is too cold for me up here and I am freezing. There is no food and I am starving. Put me under your shirt and take me down to the valley.” “No,” said the youth. “I am forewarned. I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you will bite, and your bite will kill me.” “Not so,” said the snake. “I will treat you differently. If you do this for me, you will be special. I will not harm you.” The youth resisted awhile, but this was a very persuasive snake with beautiful markings. At last the youth tucked it under his shirt and carried it down to the valley. There he laid it gently on the grass. Suddenly the snake coiled, rattled and leapt, biting him on the leg. “But you promised—” cried the poor youth. “You knew what I was when you picked me up,” said the snake as it slithered away.


(reference courtesy of the family of AA msn group http://groups.msn.com/FamilyOfAA/youknewwhatiwaswhenyoupickedmeup.msnw)














3 comments:

Jeri said...

I've got it! go out today and buy some colored masking tape, and put a tape line around the area in question. Hey - it worked for us...oh so many years ago in good old college ave!

(Good luck trying to train Heather to stay outside the tape line:)

Tasha said...

I'm reminded of a quote by a guy who was kindof smart that I'm about to put up in my classroom that your spouse may like if you feel so inclined to share with him (knowing full well that he probably reads your blog as often as Enoch reads mine)

If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?
Albert Einstein.

Laura said...

Merry Christmas, Charlotte.!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...