Wednesday, November 05, 2008

an eight minute drive

This morning when I went in to feed my Heather, I noticed two minuscule cuts on her face, one on her nose and one by her eye. Since we don't allow Heather to play with sharp objects (yet), I can only assume that she managed to cut herself with her strong-as-steel fingernails. And yet, as you can see by the accompanying photograph, we spent at least part of our Halloween doing a little mother/daughter manicure, specifically to avoid this kind of thing. What am I to do?



That is mostly a rhetorical question. I file Heather's nails, and I'm not interested in anyone telling me that I should clip them. I tried that once, missed the nail and got her thumb. She woke up, crying the cry of a betrayed daughter, and I cried the tears of a remorseful and agonized mother. I honestly don't think I have it in me to try again for at least another 2-3 months. Although, as I remember, when I was growing up it was always my dad who clipped our nails. Is that because he was(is) the dad, or is that because he was(is) a doctor? Come to think of it, I bet my resident construction estimator/graphic-designer-in-training could manage this little chore without tears by either of the participants. Hmmmm . . .



In (somewhat) non-Heather events, I'm getting back into the swing of things at work. I've discovered that I didn't forget how to do my job, which was a relief, and Heather seems to be adjusting well to her new routine, or lack thereof. Poor kid. Every day it's something new and somewhere new. She manages though, and so do I. We're all blessed blessed blessed to have the kind of help and support that we have.



This Saturday Eric and I are going to be able to go to the temple together. We haven't gone together in several months, what with pregnancy complications, and newborn babies, and all that jazz. I'm looking forward to the outing. Like many Mormons, Eric and I sometimes have a bit of a challenge making the time to attend the temple each month. I have no right to complain of course, it takes me exactly 8 minutes to drive from our home to the Logan temple. My parents drive 45 minutes to get to their nearest temple, and many of the other people reading this blog drive far more than that. Anyway, the point I was making before I went off on relative distances between homes and temples is that it can be a challenge, but well worth the effort. Every time I go home after having been in the temple, I feel better about myself, about my Eric, and about the world in general.



Who wouldn't look forward to that?

5 comments:

Jake said...

It's a good thing Mark doesn't read blogs because this talk about the proximity of temples might thwart my efforts to get him to move to Indiana.

Charlotte said...

I recently learned that Mark has been considering Ogden and Provo as well. I may have to enter the fray and put forth a few efforts of my own.

Ryan + Angie said...

Cutting fingernails is the worse. As my kids are getting bigger, I'm getting better at it (and so are they!) but I still hate it. I've found that if I sit them up (maybe Heather is still too little) and hold their hand like I would hold my own it works best.

I love the temple is so close to us too but we also fall behind in getting there every month. You have inspired me to set a time this month. Thanks.

Bamamoma said...

I love that you file them and I would think that makes for a smoother nail anyway (Eden's worse scrapes were always right after I cut her nails and had left jagged edges).

Phil and I are going to the temple tomorrow too. Should I mention that it is a six hour deal? 2 to get there, 2 hours there, 2 home. Still worth it of course! Our babysitter is just going to spend the night so we don't have to take her home so late. Nice. It is good to have an in with the YW! :)

I'm glad work is going well and that Heather is adjusting.

Kami Anderson said...

We really are blessed to live so close to the temple. I know I tend to take that for granted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...