Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I go back to work.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Actually, it's pretty ideal.

I'll work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Eric's classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays don't start until the afternoon, so in the mornings we'll share in Heather-care while working on homework (Eric) and opera work (me). On Mondays and Wednesday afternoons, Heather will spend quality time with her Cantwell Grandparents, and on Fridays and Wednesday mornings, she'll explore the wonderful world of the Utah Festival Opera with me. To be honest, I'm actually not certain that the situation could be better, either for me or for Heather.

And yet, I'm anxious about it.

I've been dreading this day since the night that Heather and I came home from the hospital. That's when I realized that one week of my six-week maternity leave was nearly over, and that it had flown by without me even realizing it, and that the next five weeks would fly by as well.

They sure did.

I've wanted to be a stay-at-home mom since I was a little little girl. When I went to college, I determined to study accounting for three reasons.

1. I was good at it.
2. I enjoyed it.
3. I knew it was a skill with some inherent flexibility, and that it could fit in well with my other life goals. (i.e. I planned on being a stay-at-home mother, but I knew that if life circumstances forced me into the workplace, accounting was something I could do on a more flexible schedule than some of the other careers I was contemplating).

As it turned out, I graduated with my accounting degree(s) a full eleven years before my Eric burst on the scene of my life. I started work at Utah Festival Opera, fully intending to stay a couple of years and then move on to something else.

That was twelve and a half years ago.

It's been a great ride, working at the opera. I've absolutely loved it. The people there are kind, intelligent, and good-hearted. The work I do is challenging and interesting. In addition, working there has allowed me to do and see all kinds of things that I wouldn't have been able to do and see if I had been working anywhere else.

It's been a great ride. Now the ride will change, but I think it will still be a great ride. I'll still be at the opera, but I have a new priority to juggle in the mix now. A new adorable, angelic priority. When I think of my situation, I feel more blessed than I can say. To be able to have the kind of flexibility that I have now is (in my opinion) an absolute miracle.

To say that I am grateful doesn't even come close.

After years and years and years, I'm going to be using my degree in the way that I intended to use it, and for the reasons that I earned it in the first place. Sure, I'm anxious about it, but really, I'm a lucky lucky girl, with a lucky lucky daughter.

And everything will work out just fine.





(Right?)

8 comments:

michellejohnnie said...

I'm glad to hear of your schedule. I believe it will be really good for both of you to "get out" and "be productive." My flexible work schedule with Cadence was great for both of us. I think I was actually happier and a better mom because of it.

Tasha said...

Everything will be fantastic. You just get to be supermom. When you are at work to have your working cape on and when you are home, having your mommy cape on. Sometimes you have to wear two capes at the same time, but they get a little heavy if you do it for too long...just remember that and you will still be super mom..

Tasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
darla said...

It's probably a good thing that I don't work with you anymore...I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my own job, as I'd be tending Heather! Things will work out Charlotte, you are doing the right things and you get the best of both worlds.

Kami Anderson said...

Everything will indeed work out just fine. It's awesome that you have been able to work out your schedule so well. You are doing great!! I only have one small complaint. There are not enough pictures of Heather on this blog. Could you work on that??? Love ya!

Charlotte said...

Kami--

You've got it! Check back tomorrow-and then on Friday for a special Halloween treat!

Jodi said...

Yey for you! You are such a brave momma. Things will work out fine and you will slip right into a routine just like you have now. I don't know if all babies are like this, but I know my Rider really liked coming to work with me. It is an active environment. They go from being all cozy and sheltered with mom and dad and then to the office where they get all this attention. Rider ate it all up. I will say it was very hard to get any work done between nursing, changing diapers, showing him off, etc. Once the parade dies down it really is quite fun to have your new little sidekick every where you go.

amy greenway said...

I remember the same feelings you are having all too well. It worked out great, and Nate was perfectly content. Mama had a harder time that first day. :) It was so nice to know that he was being loved and adored by Dad and Grandma though.

Your schedule sounds ideal to me. I think I would love that! I'll be thinking of you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...