Friday, October 03, 2008

Things I swore I'd never do

Okay--I realize that I am completely out of control. I have become absolutely everything that I used to laugh about with new mothers. Here are some examples:



  • Anyone that comes into our house immediately has to use hand sanitizer, even if Heather is upstairs in her crib. You never know when some kind of airborne germ might find its way up the stairs and into the nursery, you know?

  • If Heather nurses even 2-3 minutes less than normal, I have to fight down feelings of panic, since I'm absolutely certain that this must mean that she's becoming malnourished, and will bear the scars of that for the rest of her life.

  • When Eric rolls over in bed, I wake up absolutely confused, because I've been dreaming that it was Heather and not Eric that's been sleeping by me, and I can't figure out how she grew so big (and so much facial hair) so quickly.

  • A few years ago, when one of my nephews was born, he had kind of big eyes, and it was during the Lord of the Rings era. I adored this particular nephew, but he did look a little bit funny to me. So, I gently teased my sister that he looked a little bit like "Golum" from that movie. With my new perspective, I now see that my sister is an absolute saint. If anyone were to call my baby "Golum" or any other name that was the least bit deragotory, even in jest, I would probably deck them (and I've never decked anyone before).

And finally . . .

  • I took 52 pictures of Heather this morning, because I've noticed that she keeps her eyes open much more often recently. Here are a few of them.


















(Again--if you're suffering from Heather overload, feel free to tune out for a while. I'll probably stop posting so much about her in a bit, say when she turns 13 or so.)

9 comments:

Jake said...

Sure you comment about Gollum but no mention of when you called your other nephew the world's ugliest baby. My sainthood is secure.

Brandon said...

I can really see the Charlotte in her face in that last photo.

Jodi said...

I remember those first few weeks sitting down to nurse every 2 hours and watching the clock like a hawk. I felt that same panic. Now I fall asleep and have dreams that Mr. Chunk is screaming or in some sort of agony and wake up in a sweat only to fine him peacefully sleeping 1/2 latched on. On my list of things I would never do-nurse in bed. I caved in about 3.5 months out of pure exhaustion.

Charlotte said...

Jacob--

Indeed, your sainthood IS secure, as is Melissa's.

I'm a changed woman. Never again will I make fun of another baby.

melissa c said...

She is SOOO beautiful! And I mean that. She really is.

You are such a normal mom! I have to laugh! Now you're guilty too! ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bamamoma said...

Just promise me that you won't have her make goofy noises, or sing twinkle twinkle little star, or repeat everything you say as your greeting on your voice mail. That drives me NUTS (I'll probably be doing within the year eh?).

She IS gorgeous. Eden loves to pull up your blog and look at the "pretty baby." And when I say Eden loves to pull up your blog, I mean it. She is so intelligent she knows how to use a mouse and type in your URL... j/k

Mandy Rich said...

Heather is a gorgeous baby! Please keep the pic coming! I can never get bored of them!
We love you guys!

Jenna Marie said...

Haha. It's really ok that your life (and Blog) centers around Heather right now! :) I love seeing her, and I'm sure everyone else does too. Just embrace that you are a mother... and POST ALL YOU WANT! :) AND MORE! haha... Every other mother understands... trust me! :) P.S. She's beautiful!

michellejohnnie said...

Only 52 pictures? That's not that many when it comes to your first child:) You will do many more things that you swore you would never do as Heather gets older. She looks alike like Eric!!! Good thing he is good-looking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...