Monday, October 27, 2008

and they whirl and they twirl and they tango . . .

You may or may not have noticed, but about a month ago, I put a music player on the blog. You have to scroll for awhile to find it, and it doesn't turn on automatically, but it's definitely there, and it has a fairly random assortment of different songs that I like.

One of those songs is the infamous "Muskrat Love".

For years, I never really paid much attention to this song, or gave it a second thought really. However, now it's a song that has sentimental value to me. As silly as it sounds, when it comes to songs that Eric and I would classify as "ours" (as in, "They're playing our song" kind of thing) "Muskrat Love" is probably it (although "Never Saw Blue Like That" by Shawn Colvin, and "Pure" by Lightening Seeds are definitely in the running as well).

How could that be, you ask?

I'll tell you.

When Eric and I were dating, he would often call me up at work, and if he didn't catch me at my desk, he would leave these wonderfully random and quirky messages on my voice mail. I LOVED getting those messages. Anyway, one day, when Eric and I had probably been out three or four times total, I checked my voice mail, and heard the following message (copied verbatim as it was recorded):

Hey Charlotte, this is Eric. Hey okay, as, as punishment for not being in your office, you now have to listen to part of the . . .one of the strangest songs that has ever been written. It's still a good song, but it's very odd. So, here you go, here's your punishment.

Then we hear the following music:

"Muskrat Suzie, Muskrat Sam, do the jitterbug out in muskrat land, and they shimmy, Sam is so skinny.

And they whirl and they twirl and they tango . . ."

Then the music cuts out, and we hear Eric again:

Okay, so you had to listen to that portion of "Muskrat Love" by the Captain and Tenille. Anyway, we'll talk to you soon. Bye.






Looking back, that might have been when I knew that I wanted to have a future with Eric J. Cantwell.

Oh yeah, nibblin' on bacon, and chewin' on cheese. Does it get more romantic than that?





I think not.

2 comments:

Nellie and Jason said...

That is so cute!

michellejohnnie said...

Eric sounds like quite the...unique person. He sounds like the kind of person I would like to have as my friend. You are lucky to have someone who can make you laugh very hard and often!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...