Sunday, September 07, 2008

A virtual tour of our nusery

Well, I think our nursery is just about as ready as it's going to be, and so just for fun, here are some pictures. Since I'm basically incapable of posting anything without a few (sometimes rather long) explanations, you're going to be in for a few of those as well. So, if you choose to read on, now you've been forewarned.
* * *

This is the view as you enter the door to the nursery. It's yellow. There are two reasons for this. First, yellow is my favorite color. Second, the room was already yellow, and Eric and I are very lazy when it comes to things like painting. So, we left it. I think it works, don't you? Note the giant alligator who is currently in residence in the crib. His days there are numbered.


This print below is the first thing you see as you enter the nursery. It was painted by a man named Del Parson, and it's one of my favorites. I received it for Christmas a few years ago from one of my brothers and his wife. I love the little girl, because (although I was not that pretty when I was that age), her long brown hair and serious looking eyes reminds me of the little girl that grew up to be me. Anyway, it matches our room, and considering the genes that Eric and I are likely to have, I think we have a better-than-average chance of having a little girl with brown hair. I like to think that maybe the picture will be meaningful to her as well. I guess we'll see about that.
This below is my attempt at what Amanda calls "mad skillz". There's a story behind this one (hey-I warned you that some of the explanations may be long), and here it is:

The fact is, I'm a bit nervous about how I'm going to deal with the reality of having less time/energy/ability to keep our house up to some level of cleanliness in a few weeks than I do now. I still remember (more vividly than I'd like to admit) how everything kind of piled up and got filthy (well, maybe not filthy, but definitely not clean) when I was in that first trimester of exhaustion and nausea. I'm a bit concerned that this will happen again, that it will drive me crazy, and that I will allow it to destroy what otherwise could be a very happy time for Eric and me and the little princess.

I love to be in an organized house, and I feel better when I am. At the same time though, there are many many more important things in the world than having a pristine house. Not that I've ever had a pristine house, mind you. So, I suppose I should say that there are many many more important things in the world than having a tidy, uncluttered house with no dishes in the sink, no dust on the piano, and freshly vacuumed floors.

As I pondered this a couple of weeks ago, I thought back to a verse that I think my mother had hanging up somewhere, and I decided I might do well to have a visual reminder for myself as these changes come on. I looked on the web for the parts that I couldn't pull out of my memory, and found this:

I hope that my child, looking back on this day,
will remember a mother who had time to play;
For children grow up when you're not looking,
there are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.


I didn't have a pattern for this wall hanging, so for the first time in my life, I made my own. Then I stitched it up, found a frame at the craft store, painted it, and voila! Here it is--my own personalized bit of stitchery. I actually ended up going through the whole process twice, because the first time I didn't get the lines straight at all, and the letters were all different kinds of sizes, and it just looked much too rustic. Actually, let's be honest. It looked like a five-year-old was trying to practice his letters by writing out this poem. It hung on the wall for exactly one day before I couldn't take it any more and I had to do it again. It's all good though. It was my first time, after all.




This is (quite obviously) the closet. Note the beautiful dresser that Mr. Cantwell assembled a few weeks ago. As to the clothes, all I can say is that thanks to many of our generous friends and family, our daughter is going to be more fashionably dressed in her first year of life than I ever have been or ever will be. Who knew that clothes could be so fun?




This is the other side of the room. The baby swing (in the left bottom corner) will not be there after we have our baby. I keep it there now because it feels weird to have a baby swing in the main living are of our house, when we don't yet have a baby. Another thing, you'll notice the daybed. This room used to be our spare room, and we decided to keep the bed there, in case we have a special kind of visitor. What would qualify one as a "special kind of visitor" you ask? Well, this visitor would be more comfortable sharing a room with a (possibly crying) baby while sleeping in a real bed, than he/she/they would be sleeping on an air mattress in the living room downstairs. I'm actually quite curious to see which kind of visitor we end up seeing/hosting more.



The framed stitchery in this photo was given to me by my friend Katrina. The relief of the two girls was given to me by my friend Heidi. The two babies in the gold frame are Eric and me. The gold frame is quite old--my maternal grandmother had it on a table in what passed for her office the entire time I knew her. Inside the frame were baby/toddler pictures of me and my oldest cousin. When I was young (and even when I was older), I felt really happy inside about that.

And finally, we have the gloworm (temporarily hanging out in the baby swing). When I was little, I adored these little guys, although I never owned one of my own. So, you can imagine the thrill I had when we received one at the baby shower that the Opera Folk threw for us a few days ago.

(As you might imagine, Eric was pretty jazzed about it as well.)


And there you have it-a long rambling tour of what is currently the most beloved room in our home.
* * *
As for news, we've added a new name to our top five, and the possibilities now are Amanda, Aubrey, Samantha, Sarah, and (here's the new one) Heather. I have to admit, I'm leaning further towards Heather than I have for any other name so far. So far Eric's pretty keen on it as well, which is a good sign.

Also, my doctor moved the date for the C-Section back a few days, so we're no longer planning on September 12. Although I'm not enjoying this last bit of pregnancy all that much, I'm thrilled to be able to continue on with it for a while if it will help our little girl to be more equipped for life on the outside.

And that's the news from these parts at the moment.

-cc

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Ooooh! I love it! This is such a fun time of anticipation. Your room is all ready and you have feel ready but maybe a little scared and not sure what to expect. It is more wonderful than you can imagine. I have to save the baby swing has saved our life. Rider hated his bassinet, so he sleeps in his swing next to my bed. It is on my must have's list. I hope all goes well for you. Enjoy the time that you get to have her all to yourself. Once they come out you get to share them, which is not a bad thing--it is just a little strange when they have been so close to you for this time.

Jake said...

It's funny how different kids are. None of our kids ever liked the swing, and trust you me I tried to force it on them just like binkies (luckily I'm 3 for 3 there). Bouncy chairs, on the other hand, are required equipment here.

I'm glad to see that Eric is still standing firm on the alligator.

Bamamoma said...

What a nice, comfy, happy room. Your little princess is one lucky girl! We wait with great anticipation for her healthy arrival. I LOVE the name Heather.

Tasha said...

Okay, here's my rambling (I truly think it is genetic, not my fault or yours...) When I had my first child I went crazy trying to keep my house as clean as my mom did, but I realized that I didn't have my cape to be superwoman and things started to fall. Then I found this and made it my motto - I'm currently looking into get a vinyl thing made with a pic of me and my kids to go with it. Enjoy.

Some houses try to hide the fact
That children shelter there,
Ours boasts it quite openly,
The signs are everywhere.

For smears are on the windows,
Little smudges are on the doors
I should apologize, I guess
For toys strew on the floor.

But I sat down with my child
And we played and laughed and read
And if the doorbell doesn’t shine,
His eyes will shine instead.

For when at times I’m forced to choose
The one job or the other,
I’d like to cook and clean and scrub,
But first I’ll be a mother.

michellejohnnie said...

Cute room for the baby! Only a little while longer until your baby sleeps (hopefully) in it! I am so excited for you!!!

Melissa said...

The rooom looks very cute. I am way impressed by your little stitch project. It is so cute. And by the look of your changing table it looks like you are plenty ready with Diapers, wet Wipes, and such. My question is, Have you packed your bag??

Nellie and Jason said...

Charlotte--that nursery is adorable! It looks so comfy and happy. I'm sure Heather/Amanda/Aubrey/Samantha/Sarah will be in heaven there!

Laura said...

This is a great room Charlotte- it's so personal and full of love.

melissa c said...

I love it! You did great and as yellow is also a personal favorite of mine, I approve!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...