Sunday, September 28, 2008

a smidgen of this and that

Two years ago yesterday, I went to San Diego on a little vacation with Camilla and Ilsa. While the three of us were on the bus to Sea World, my then-newish-boyfriend Eric called me, and we chatted for a while. As we pulled into the parking lot, and Eric and I wound up our conversation, Eric said to me:



"Well . . . I love you."


This is one of the first times Eric had said that to me, and it was definitely the first time he had said it to me while I was around other people. Being mindful of the fact that I had two friends within earshot, and being somewhat hesitant to declare anything right then, my inner cowardly lion came out and I answered:


"Me too."


Of course, Ilsa and Camilla (who had been pretending to be in conversation with each other, but had really just been ardently listening to my side of the conversation), were not at all fooled by this, and they razzed me about my cowardice as soon as I hung up. That was the last time I ever let Eric tell me he loved me without making it absolutely clear to him that I loved him right back.


A lot can change in two years, huh? Now I'm married to Eric, and even as I type this, our little baby is sleeping upstairs. Wow.


* * *


Friday night Eric and I rented a few videos, ordered take-out, and settled in for what will probably be the first of many in-home date nights. We rented the movie "Be Kind, Rewind", and we both thought it was just hilarious. (Jacob, you and Melissa will probably not enjoy it, as its humor is of the quirky-Napoleon-Dynamite variety.) I'm becoming more and more of a Jack Black fan all the time (although I still haven't seen Nacho Libre).



* * *

I'll end this post with my favorite picture (so far) of Heather, and a few things that I've learned postpartum:



  • In the absence of a Kleenex, a burp cloth works well in the handling of unexpected "baby blues" tears.*

  • When changing a diaper, it is best to have the clean diaper prepped and ready to go before you remove the wet or soiled diaper from the baby.

  • If you want to avoid leaks and blowouts (and who doesn't?), it's helpful to place the diaper on the baby quite snugly, just tight enough that it doesn't cause her pain, in fact.

  • Even at 4:00 a.m., when I'm exhausted and a bit sore, and trying to deal with a whole bunch of changes within a very short time, one quick smile from my Heather can turn everything around for me.



*If you're worried, don't be. I'm fine. I cry a bit more than I used to just now, but the crying spells pass quickly, and generally for no apparent reason. That makes me inclined to think that it's just hormones, combined with sudden lack of sleep, and that things should settle down as I get more experience with this whole motherhood thing. As you might imagine, Eric is (as always) being a real gem about it all, and taking it in stride. What a lucky girl I am.

7 comments:

Jake said...

I love Jack Black. I'm not a huge fan of Nacho Libre, but I did laugh when we saw it. When I saw the previews for "Be kind, Rewind" I was very excited and I still want to see it. Melissa doesn't!

The Robinson Family said...

I must say that Heather is sooo cute. She is probably one of the cutest babies I've seen.

Laura said...

What's better than a sleeping, smiling baby?

Melissa said...

As Jacob said, I don't want to see Be Kind, Rewind, but I highly recomment Kung Fu Panda. Even though it is animanated it is still classic Jack Black Laughs. And I am sure you have seen The Holiday, but if you haven't it is another good Jack Black film.

Amanda said...

The Holiday was good, but it would have been better if they would have cut out 1/2 the Cameron Diaz romance part. It just wasn't as good. I loved the Jack Black part, though.

Anyway, Heather is definitely a cutie!!!! And the unexpected tears eventually disappear. It took me a few weeks.

Nellie and Jason said...

Yeah, the tears will fade in a few weeks, I had the same issues. I think it's mostly your body adjusting to all the hormonal changes. And lack of sleep will do that too!

Grant & Jen Willis Family said...

I just can't let my cousin Jake hate on Nacho Libre without interjecting. It must be seen -- multiple times.

Grant

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...