Monday, September 15, 2008

I hope I remember this feeling forever

Last night Eric and I took a very short walk around our neighborhood. I was on the tail end of an unexpected and unwelcome bout of food poisoning (don't even ask) , and that combined with the events planned for this week was (were?) making me pretty anxious and high-strung. Eric suggested (rightly) that a little time out of the house might be good for both of us.


As we walked, we stopped by a little park. I should mention that when I (happily) moved into the townhome where we now live, I was thirty-four, single, childless, and had no real marriage prospects on the horizon. Shortly after I moved in, work started on this particular playground. I remember watching the work, being very interested in the progress, while simultaneously feeling some sorrow that I wouldn't be bringing any children of my own there to play.


Anyway, as Eric and I sat in the swings and chatted last night, I realized that in all likelihood, we'll be bringing our little girl to this very same park this spring. It was a great feeling and a great night. There was a full moon and a cloudless sky. The temperature was just perfect for swinging, and Eric pushed me (gently) on the swing for a bit, while we talked about our past, our future, our present, and the different kinds of dog breeds that we'd seen recently (yeah, we're random like that). Considering that I'm 29 pounds heavier than I was in January, have ankles that look like they belong to an elephant instead of to me, and had spent the previous evening and night alternating between lying on our bed and kneeling in our bathroom, I'd have to say that it was about as romantic of an evening as I've ever experienced.


Not a bad way to end one stage of life and start another, if you ask me.



* * *


So, tomorrow is the big day. I don't know when I'll next have computer access, and to be honest, starting tomorrow, I kind of doubt that blogging will be quite as high of a priority for me for a while. What I'm saying is, with the exception of a quick "Everything turned out great, here's a picture of the little princess, and thanks for your prayers" post when I'm home from the hospital and back on-line, you may not see much posted here for a bit.

Or maybe you will. Maybe I'll be so enamored with our little girl that I'll drive you all crazy with daily details about how she sleeps, how she drools, and how many turns Eric is taking with the whole diaper duty detail.


I guess we'll just have to see, huh?


12 comments:

Bamamoma said...

What a nice image you painted. Best blessings for tomorrow and beyond...

Jeri said...

what a PERFECT evening! I suppose that's another upside to "scheduling" the baby's arrival (in addition to making sure she gets here alive and well) - you can actually mark the "final moments." I am SO SO excited for you. Good luck and all that jazz - ENJOY every moment! (and let the nurses take her to the nursery when you need to sleep... she'll be just fine, I promise!

Kami Anderson said...

I know everything is going to go just perfectly tomorrow. I'm so excited for you! Love you and talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you all the best!

Laura said...

God bless you and your new adventures.
Oh yes.
You are going to blog when you figure out how to fit it in.
You will have SO many stories and you will love having all the other moms share your joys with you.
It is very exciting indeed.

Amy Jo said...

I will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow. What a beautiful way to end one stage of your lives together. I enjoyed the story. It took me back to many years ago to the night before my oldest daughter was born...been really busy since then!

Enjoy the time with the baby...and done worry about blogging. You will get to it eventually. We will still be here! :)

Best wishes!

The Robinson Family said...

That is so exciting that you are having your baby today! I hope all goes well. Good luck with everything, life will never be the same again! :)

amy greenway said...

I just got word that she was born and so cute!!!! I'm so excited! Can't wait to see pics.

Chelsie said...

Good luck, and make Eric send out an email or something!

michellejohnnie said...

I want to see your beautiful baby! Relax and let your body work its magic!!!

Jenna Marie said...

I'm so happy for you guys. You'll make a wonderful mom!!! :) Hope all went well and I'm excited to see the new little one and see the name you FINALLY picked. :)

melissa c said...

Good luck Darling! I am writing this too late and you have already had your darling girl.

I hope it all went well. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...