Friday, August 22, 2008

Suo Gan-how it's all shaking out

So, this is what I've decided to do:

I'm going to learn one verse of Suo Gan in English and one verse in Welsh, and call it good. After hunting around the Internet for a bit (thanks Jay and Kristi for getting me started on this), I found the following English verse that I like the most:

Sleep serenely, baby, slumber,
Lovely baby, gently sleep;
Tell me wherefore art thou smiling,
Smiling sweetly in they sleep?
Do the angels smile in heaven
When thy happy smile they see?
Dost thou on them smile while slum'bring
On my bosom, peacefully

(I'm not crazy about the fact that every other word in this verse is "sleep", "slumber", or "smile", but really, I like all those things, so I've decided not to let it bother me)

There are plenty of Welsh versions, but after hunting for quite a bit, I finally found one with a phonetic translation as well:

(Welsh)
Huna, blentyn, ar fy mynwes,
Clyd a chynnes ydyw hon;
Breichiau mam sy'n dynn amdanat,
Cariad mam sy dan fy mron.
Ni chaiff dim amharu'th gyntun,
Ni wna undyn รข thi gam;
Huna'n dawel, annwyl blentyn,
Huna'n fwyn ar fron dy fam.

(Pronunciation)
Heenah blen-tin ar v-eye manwess
Kleed ah Xchaness ah-dew hawn;
Brai-Xch-yaim am-seen deen amdah-nacht,
Car-yahd mahm-see dahn v-eye br'on.
Nee Xch-eye-f deem ahm-har-reeth gun-tin
Nee wahn a-yeen-din ah hee gahm;
Heen-nahn dah-well, ahn-will blen-tin,
Heen-nahn voo-ien ar-vrohn da-vahm

So there we are! Let the learning begin!




In other news, the hospital changed the time for our childbirth preparation class, and between Eric going back to school full-time, and my newly advanced delivery date, the time and date they changed it to isn't going to work for us anymore. It's kind of moot anyway, because if we went ahead with it, we'd be attending class after we had the baby. So, we cancelled. In an effort to give myself my own education, two nights ago I started reading up on what happens postpartum. It was kind of eye opening, and a little concerning.

I had kind of figured that all the difficulties came in the pregnancy and delivery, and once I gave birth it would pretty much be smooth sailing. Well, except for the fact that I'll have to really quickly adjust to a whole new way of life as I care for a tiny infant who will be entirely dependent upon me and Eric for every single thing in her little life I mean. Other than that minor detail, things should be pretty much smooth sailing, right? *

It appears that I was wrong. There are all kinds of aches and pains and weird things that happen to your body as it tries to get over the trauma of childbirth and get back to normal. Like, 20 pages worth. Eeek! Last night I finally had to put the book down because I was getting pretty freaked out. I went to my faithful Readers Digest and read some interviews with Barak Obama and John McCain there. The interviews didn't help me get rid of my confusion about this November's election (but that's a post for another day--maybe), but they did help me to stop obsessing about how I'll probably be feeling in a month or so, and that was enough for me.

Happy Friday to y'all,
char

*Now, I'm not stupid. As soon as I found out I'd be having a C-Section, I knew that the recovery process was going to be on the slow and painful side. I read up on that as soon as the C-Section decision was made, and I think I'm as prepared for that as I'm going to get. But there are a whole slew of other inconveniences and agonies that come along with the postpartum business, inconveniences and agonies that I'd not realized. That's what was concerning to me.

1 comment:

Bamamoma said...

The thing is that postpartum is like so much else in life: you can't really know what to expect because everyone's experience is individual. However, everyone seems to be equipped to deal with their own version. Having said that, you know you can call anytime (except E's bath time - apparently)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...