Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Songs for Becca and Barbara to learn

If you look at the comments to my last post, you will see that Laura told me that if I needed to get over my bloggers block, I could play "the baby card". So, that's what today is.


I want to be one of those mothers who sings to her child. I want my child to be one of those children who likes it when her mother sings to her. One of the sweetest "aunt experiences" I've ever had was singing to one of my nephews. It was back in 2005 (I think), and I was at the wedding reception of my brother Doug. All my family was there, and at the moment in question, my sister (Becca) and her husband were deep in conversation with some old friends that they hadn't seen in several years. Just at that moment, 10-month old Evan started to get pretty fussy. I had just finished being deep in conversation with some old friends that I hadn't seen in several years, and having a little free time, I went to Becca and took Evan off her hands. I carried him out to the hallway, and proceeded to bounce him, and dance with him, and play with him, all to no avail. He kept on crying, and his cries became a little more desperate as time wore on.


Finally, I started singing to him. His reaction was amazing. I was holding him so that he could see over my shoulder, and the minute I started singing, he stopped crying, and tried to wiggle his ear up so that it was closer to my mouth (I wasn't singing all that loudly, there were people in the hall waiting to get into the reception after all). Every time I stopped singing, he started to whimper again, and every time I started singing again, he quieted right down, and moved himself closer to the sound. It was so sweet. Eventually he fell asleep.


I would like to say that this all happened because I have an angelic voice, but the fact is, I've sung to several other babies, and this is the only time this has happened. So, I have come up with another theory.


Although we have never spoken about it, I'm reasonably certain that my sister sings to her children. What you may not know (having never heard us), is that my sister and I have basically the same singing voice. It happens to be my mom's voice. Honestly, when the three of us sing in unison together, it usually sounds like one person singing (one person who has the vocal support and power of three people though). So, I think that when I sang to little Evan, he either 1)was so surprised by his mom's voice coming out of this person that was definitely not his mother that he had to quiet down and figure out what was going on, or 2)was so comforted by the familiar sound that it calmed him right down. Either way, it worked out great for me.


So, with that lengthy introduction, here, in no particular order, is a list of some of the songs I want to sing to my baby girl. I figure I'll put it out here so that Becca and my mom can start learning them-thus preparing to be better able to comfort my crying child should they find themselves in a position to do so. As for the rest of you, well, it's just for your reading enjoyment I guess.

  • Baby Mine-from the Dumbo Soundtrack, or from the Beaches Soundtrack-I'm slightly concerned about the line that says, "From your head down to your toes, you're not much, goodness knows". I don't want my child to grow up thinking that she isn't worth much, you know? But, I love the next line, "But you're so precious to me, sweet as can be, baby of mine". So, we'll see how I reconcile all of that.


  • Angel Lullaby-from My Turn on Earth- Do you remember My Turn on Earth? It was a play that made the rounds of Mormon-dom in the 70s. I loved it. We had the LP record, and I used to listen to it all the time and dance to the music. At the time I didn't particularly care for this song, because it was too slow and boring. Now, I love it!


  • Suo-Gan (a/k/a The Song that Christian Bale sings in Empire of the Sun)-The problem with this one is that it's in Welsh, and I don't know Welsch. My research tells me that it is in fact a lullaby though. Do any of you know of an English version?


  • I Feel My Savior's Love-My favorite primary song.


  • And finally . . . Feelin' Groovy (the 59th Street Bridge Song)-By Simon and Garfunkel-Obviously, this is not a soothing-please-calm-down-little-girl-lullaby. This is a sing-and-dance-around-the-room-together song. I'm hoping for more of those moments than I can count.



And there you have it, the songs that I plan on having as my base repertoire for motherhood singing. Is it weird that I've planned that out?

I leave you with two cheesy-but-small pictures that I took last night after Eric completed assembling the dresser that we purchased at Ikea. Can I just exult for one teeny little second? Being married to a man who knows how to use tools is HEAVEN!



HEAVEN I SAY!


(Oh-and that robot that's on the back of his shirt? He designed it. Handy, artistic and cheesy. Could there be a better man for me?)





Sorry this post is so long. Maybe bloggers block will strike again and I'll go back to short posts now.

14 comments:

Bamamoma said...

I can't imagine motherhood without singing. I can't imagine singing to my baby without primary songs. We laugh that her first day in primary she will just fall asleep. During those weeks of colic the singing was for my sanity as much as it was for hers. I learned that songs with a march (like Called to Serve and High on a Mountain Top) were the best during that phase (crazy, I know!).

Maybe your next CD should be a kids CD!

Jeri said...

one of my friends is a total singer - and couldn't wait to sing to her kids. Well - 1st kid comes along and starts screaming EVERY TIME she sang to him. What a bummer eh? (The other 4 enjoyed being sung to, so the odds are in your favor.)

I wouldn't fret about the line in Dumbo. I don't hear it as saying the kid isn't much - I interpret it as the kid is LITTLE-there just isn't much there.
You can always change the words to "From your head down to your toes, you're THE BEST, goodness knows. AND you're so precious to me, sweet as can be, baby of mine". or something along those lines...

Only a couple more weeks to go! CAN"T WAIT! (PS tell Eric I love the robot. Obviously it was a self portrait type thing...)

Jake said...

I sure hope Eric is brushing up on his singing skills too because no house is complete without a man singing tiptoe through the tulips.

Kristi G said...

Charlotte,
You can order the piano sheet music for Suo-Gan for a $1.53 from sheetmusicplus.com with English and Welsh text. What a bargain! I looked at the preview and the English translation is lovely (at least the first page). I have always loved that lullaby. I am delighted you'll be singing it to your little girl!

Esplin GJ said...

I'm shocked that you didn't mention me singing to Marian. Yes, I'm sure that the heaven's opened as heavenly beings heard my angelic voice. My favorite song? The theme song from "Cheers". It's a great song to sing to your children, just don't tell them where it comes from. Some others theme songs you may want to consider: The Facts of Life, Three's A Company, American Hero. If you are really brave you could quote the opening monologue from the best show ever--The A Team. Ask Eric, perhaps he remembers it..."A crack comando team accused of a crime they did not commit...If you can find them, you can call...the A Team".

layjent said...

An English version for Suo-gan; not sure if it is the translation or just the same meter either way it works

To my lullaby surrender
Warm and tender is my breast
Mother's arms with love caressing
Lay their blessing on your rest
Nothing shall tonight alarm you
None shall harm you, have no fear
Lie contented, calmly slumber
On your mother's breast, my dear

Here tonight I tightly hold you
And enfold you while you sleep
Why, I wonder, are you smiling
Smiling in your slumber deep?
Are the angels on you smiling
And beguiling you with charm
While you also smile, my blossom
In my bosom soft and warm?

Have no fear now, leaves are knocking
Gently knocking at our door
Have no fear now, waves are beating
Gently beating on the shore
Sleep, my darling, none shall harm you
Nor alarm you, never cry
In my bosom sweetly smiling
And beguiling those on high

layjent said...

Personally, I think you should learn the Welsh version--something a bit more classic about it.

Laura said...

I think Feeling Groovy could be very soothing...now I can't get it out of my head...
~you move too fast- ya got to make the moments last- la la la
OKAY thanks cuz now that song is going to be in my head all day...
~hello lamp post whatcha knowin'...
lalalalalalalalalal

Blaming Charlotte....and feeling groovy.....

Jodi said...

For some reason I always remember that post that Heidi did about singing in the grocery store "Skin-a-ma-rink-dink-dink-Skin-a-ma-rinky-do" to Eden while she was trying to ask the produce guy where the parsnips were. I have had that experience several times now in various stores or locations. I find myself sining lullabys or silly songs because babies love singing! I know it appeals to their pure little spirits. In all honesty whether it is singing, holding their hand, or just patting their back to the rhythm of whatever song is in your head--you feel like such a hero when you can soothe them. It is so satisfying when their little bodies relax and they finally go to sleep.

Harmony said...

Great blog topic Charlotte. I remember Mercy and I singing and dancing to "My Turn on Earth," "Saturday's Warrior," and other cheesy LDS songs from the 70's. Jeff calls it all "Mormon slush rock" and mocks it viciously, but there's something about songs you grow up with that become a part of you, even the cheesy ones. I also love Suo-Gan, and the rest of that soundtrack. If I were making a similar list, I would add "You'll Be in My Heart," by Phil Collins from the Tarzan soundtrack.

Laura said...

Come visit. I've tagged you..cuz I'm feeling groooooovy.

Doug said...

It seems like you have this singing stuff down except for one song that you missed. "Take Me Out To The Ballgame." I also think that it helps to bounce up and down while rocking side to side while singing or anything thing else that makes you look absolutely insane.

Kami Anderson said...

You will definitely need to share your amazing voice with your baby. I on the other hand will never be singing to my children as it would probably just make them scream louder. My singing voice is definitely not sensational.

Bamamoma said...

Today as I sang (very quietly) "You are My Sunshine" to Eden in the grocery line, I thought of you singing to your precious, sweet little girl. Fun thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...