Friday, June 13, 2008

last year and this year

I've posted some pretty long things here lately, so here's a nice kind-of short, kind-of random one.


One year ago this weekend I sang and played my my guitar at Summerfest. It was a triumphal experience for me, in that I never thought I'd have the courage to do something like that. Turns out I just needed to have someone ask me. I have a hard time saying "no" to singing gigs, even if they are gigs that are way out of my comfort zone and/or skill level. Having said that, two months ago I was asked if I would perform at Summerfest again this year. It was quite easy for me, in my nauseated and exhausted state, to say, "No, not this year, thank you." We'll see if I get asked again next year. If I do, I don't know what I'll say. Life will probably be quite different then than it is now. I'd better not make too many assumptions.


Next weekend I'm going back to this lovely campground for the fifth year in a row (It will be Eric's second year in a row). It should be fun, although, you'll notice that I didn't say I would be camping. Nope, Eric and I will content ourselves with driving the 30 or so minutes to the campground, mingling with all our friends, eating a delicious Dutch Oven dinner, maybe having a S'more (which has taken the place of green salads as my new craving--Rats!), and then driving home.


This weekend will be laden with family stuff. We're meeting up tonight with Eric's brother and wife (the brother's wife, not Eric's wife--although Eric's wife will be there as well, obviously) to play grown-up games and chat about this and that. It's been too long since we've gotten together, and I'm looking forward to it. Saturday Eric has to work, and while he's busy selling decking material and pricing blueprints, I'll be driving down to Salt Lake to attend a family gathering, check out the crib and car seat shopping options in the big city, and maybe get a little bit of niece playtime in. These are the same nieces that slept over at our place just about a year ago.




And thus we see that the more things change, the more they stay just about the same. I like it when it works out that way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...