Monday, June 09, 2008

Bring on the Drama!

A CONVERSATION:

YESTERDAY

Scene: The Primary room in our church. I am sitting and chatting with my neighbor and fellow primary-worker, Jenny while we wait for the children to arrive. It should be noted that Jenny is the mother of four adorable boys, aged 4 through 9.

Jenny(gesturing to my belly): Remind me again, do you know what you're having?

Me: Not yet. We find out tomorrow.

Jenny: Do you have a preference?

Me: Well, not really, but my gut feeling is that it's a boy.

Jenny: Really? I could never tell on any of mine. No gut feeling or anything.

Me: Yeah, well who knows? I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel. Part of me wants a boy, just because the little boys in my family tend to be more even keel than the girls. I think we might want to start out with a kid who's a little more easy, you know?*

Jenny(enthusiastically): Oh, do I ever! I babysit girls sometimes, and whenever I do, I'm just amazed at the difference!

Me (nervously): Oh, really? Isn't that interesting . . .

(the children start arriving at that point, which makes it necessary for us to end our conversation)

END SCENE

* * *

So, as alluded to above, I've recently been contemplating and trying to remember how my nieces and nephews were as babies. In looking back, I've noticed a trend, a trend that is somewhat disturbing to me now. With no exception that I can think of, all of the boy babies born to my siblings have been (by and large) easy-going, relaxed, mellow little guys. In contrast, the girls (by and large) have been more prone to great big smiles generally immediately followed or preceded by great big tears. In other words, there's been a lot of drama with the girls. Now, I'm not completely averse to drama (which must be one of the reasons I work for an opera company), but given the choice, I'll generally choose "mellow/smooth/amiable" over "happy/sad/overjoyed/in-the-depths-of-despair", you know?

At the same time though, there's really no smile that compares to a drama smile.


Notice the mostly relaxed boys and the ecstatic-ly happy girl in these two photos. What could be cuter?





Here's hoping (as we welcome OUR BABY GIRL to our home this fall), that there are lots of smiles, and not quite so many tears.




































*This was mostly a lie. For no accountable reason that I can think of, I have secretly been wanting a girl for quite a while. I didn't say too much about it, because I had a feeling that we'd be having a boy and I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment. But, all the while, I've really wanted a girl. That's the honest truth.

9 comments:

Mandy Rich said...

Congrats! I have been waiting for you to post all day! I cant wait for your cute baby girl! Now you need to concentrate on names! Good Luck! I think Christine would be cute and you know you have a cousin that would say it was named after her! Hope to see you guys soon! Hugs!

amy greenway said...

REALLY? I know that women are more emotional than men, however, Cecily is easily my quietest, shyest baby. Obviously Eli wasn't, isn't, will not be...ever. But all of a sudden my little tiny sweet girl is getting ideas of her own and she's not the quiet little thing she once was so maybe she's been putting on the "good girl" act for the past 17 mos.

Anyway, once again, HOOOOOOORay for you and your wee little girl.

Jake said...

I think this blog must be about the Cantwell nieces because my daughter hasn't an ounce of drama in her. She is so even keel that I barely know she is there half of the time.

Congratulations on your princess.

Esplin GJ said...

Last time I saw Dad he was updating me on the emotional rollercoasters of the two younger granddaughters that were living in Cedar. I reminded him that our little angel was just as bad if not worse. He responded "Oh yeah, well she grew out of that."
Congratulations, as Ryan's old boss told him when we were pregnant with Marian, boys are great but every Dad needs to have a little girl to give him a hug at the end of the day.

Jeri said...

FUN FUN FUN -

my neighbor's name is Christiana - she goes by Christy. I thought I'd share it as an optional way to combine Abrianna and Christy.

I'm thinking that "Christiana Jacobette" has a delightful ring to it. It would pay proper homage to her great and illustrious uncle; and just think - she'd have the same initials that you grew up with (once you invented your own middle name:)

Tasha said...

Congratulations and I will say, as the mom of two girls, they have moments of both being ultra laid back and then over the top drama. But as little babies, my girls were MUCH easier than my boy. It goes in phases regardless of gender I think :)

Jodi said...

That is so exciting! I remember feeling a little disappointed when I found out Rider was a boy. I never really had those "feelings" either way. I am so excited for you.

Ryan & Angie said...

Yeah for you. Girls are great...boys are pretty fun too.

Kami Anderson said...

How fun! I'm so excited for you. Coming from a family of 4 girls and only 1 boy I personally think girls are great. My Mom would tell you the girls (most of us) were easier to raise than the boy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...