Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Meals, Ready-to-Eat

Have any of you ever tried an MRE?


We received an anonymous donation a few weeks ago of a whole bunch of MRE's to be used on scout camps, etc. Sunday Eric decided that we should probably sample them a bit before unleashing them on our unsuspecting scouts. I was less than enthusiastic about the whole idea, but I went along, as I usually do go along with Eric's random ideas. We had Chicken Fajitas with some kind of rice side dish. Eric thought they were pretty good, but I couldn't even finish a mouthful before my stomach started getting rebellious on me. (It reminded me of those mornings when I would have to eat my oatmeal before I could catch the bus for school. Now that I'm a grown-up, I never eat oatmeal. Our kids may never find out what oatmeal tastes like until they leave home.)


Getting back to the MREs, It was kind of an adventure. I'd heard of MRE's before of course, but this was the first time I'd ever had the opportunity to eat one.


Here are a few pictures that I took to document the experience:



In other news, I caught a monster cold somewhere, and so I've been spending my nights coughing and hacking and sniffling instead of sleeping. Seriously, I'm going on four nights now of sub-sub-sub-par sleep. The cold has now settled in my throat, so I have no voice. That has made phone conversations kind of a challenge. Oh well. This too shall pass, right?



Just a few days 'till we leave for San Francisco! Yippee!





10 comments:

Esplin GJ said...

Ryan shares your dislike for Oatmeal. When Ryan and I were engaged he made me promise him one and only one thing, that I would never make him eat oatmeal or mush when we got married. I have kept my promise. As to the cold, it's been my experience that they are twice as bad and last twice as long when I was pregnant so good luck!

Jake said...

I share your dislike for MREs. I always liked Tino's pizza rolls that I cooked in the fire after covering with tin foil.

Tonya said...

We bought some MRE's to have on hand for food storage but haven't tried one. I figured they will be great when we are starving right? LOL

Hope you feel better soon!

Jodi said...

So, I didn't know this until I became pregnant. Your immune system is lower when you are pregant as well as your mucas membranes are thinner during pregnancy. It is not uncommon to catch nasty colds or be stuffed up and hacking the whole 9 months. I have tried everything they would let me. I have done one round of antibiotics. Now I am resorting to mucinex. It gets me through the night.

Harmony said...

I wouldn't recommend MRE's to anyone who is pregnant!, but as a meal for a camping/hiking trip, they aren't bad. Some of them are definitely better than others. And everything tastes better when it's cooked and eaten outdoors, right?

Esplin GJ said...

Don't ever feed your kids Oatmeal and Mush. I don't need to say anything else,

Bamamoma said...

yeah, pregnancy and colds just don't mix well. Have you ever tried a neti pot? I totally recommend it!

musicmom said...

We were also given a box of MRE's. I don't really care for them, but I definately agree that some are better than others. I have 2 boys that love them though, and when I am too tired to make dinner, one always asks if he can have an MRE. Weird! But I would eat them if I was starving.
However, I think that I would stick with normal food while you are pregnant, much safer. :-)

Jeff said...

In the army we ate these things all the time, so I have a few comments:

First: eating an MRE on a plate spoils the whole effect. you have to use the included spoon and eat them out of the bag.
second: use the heater on the main meal. Chemically heated food is awesome.
third: you can eat even the worst meals if you use that little bottle of tobasco sauce--it fixes everything.
finally: when you eat a lot of these things, you get creative. Some day I will share my recipe for ranger pudding, cracker cereal, etc. MRE cuisine!! good times.

Jodi said...

Oh my word-how could I forget my favorite friend the Neti Pot? I use it every day. Thank you Heidi-seriously that is better than even the mucinex!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...