Monday, March 31, 2008

My 100

I've read posts like this on other blogs, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, one hundred things is a lot to come up with, and a lot to read. On the other hand, I've learned new things about people that I have known for years, all by reading their "100" posts. So, after much deliberation, I've decided to go ahead and do one.

1. The first car I ever owned was a 1980 Dodge Colt.

2. I LOVED it.

3. When I was little I wanted to be a teacher or a famous author when I grew up.

4. When I took the ASVAB tests during my senior year in high school, my results showed that I would be good in accounting and air traffic control.

5. I took my first accounting class as a freshman in college, and enjoyed it so much that I made it my major.

6. I've never regretted that decision.

7. I took the CPA exam (or parts of it) three times before I passed it completely.

8. I still don't have my CPA license.

9. In order to get the actual license, one has to fulfill so many hours under the guidance and supervision of a licensed CPA. I'm the only accountant where I work, and I enjoy my job too much to quit it and get a job where I can work under a licensed CPA.

10. I still get a good feeling inside when I remember that I've passed the CPA exam, license or no license.

11. I signed up (and paid) to take the CPA exam two months after I graduated from college, but I was so sure I wouldn't pass that I didn't show up to actually sit for the exam.

12. That was dumb. It was five more years before I got up the courage to actually take the exam. Based on my scores, I think if I would have taken it fresh out of school, I probably would have passed it that first time.

13. I'm surprised that it doesn't really bother me all that much.

14. (moving on to other topics) I still have my appendix and my tonsils.

15. I've never had braces. When I was little I wished for braces, and I would wear paper clips on my teeth.

16. I'm glad that wish never came true.

17. I still wish on stars

18. And raise my feet (and make a wish) when I drive over a cattle guard.

19. I got a bicycle for Christmas when I was six years old.

20. I didn't actually successfully ride that bicycle until I was ten years old.

21. Three years later, my younger brother (who was three years old at the time) learned how to ride a bicycle.

22. Two of my younger brothers learned how to ride a bike before I did. I was always afraid that someone would find that out.

23. I don't own a bicycle at this point. (unless you count the fact that Eric's is technically "community property')

24. I'm the oldest of six children.

25. I've always taken the responsibility of being the oldest (and setting a good example) very seriously. Probably too seriously.

26. I was the last of my siblings to marry, and I will be the last of my siblings to experience parenthood.

27. I AM LOVING not being the trailblazer in these areas.

28. I've seen more of the world than I ever dreamed I would.

29. I've been lost in downtown St. Petersburg, all by myself.

30. I don't speak a word of Russian.

31. It was kind of a scary experience, but it all worked out.

32. I've been lost in downtown Bangkok, at 11 p.m., all by myself.

33. That was even more scary, but it all worked out.

34. When my mom reads #33, she's not going to be happy. We went to Bangkok together, and on our last night there I went out without her, to spend the last of my foreign money. She didn't want to come, and didn't want me to go. I was feeling stubborn and I went anyway.

35. I never told her that I got lost.

36. Being stubborn has gotten me into more trouble than I care to recount.

37. I love chocolate with a passion.

38. I do NOT like chocolate and fruit mixed, with the exception of chocolate-dipped strawberries. I especially do not like chocolate cake with raspberry or strawberry filling or topping. What a waste of a good cake.

39. I don't like fruit desserts (mostly). If it has fruit in it, it's a salad, not dessert.

40. Except for key lime pie.

41. I don't really like cheesecake. It's okay, but definitely not worth the calories in my opinion.

42. I used to hold the school records at my high school for the 1600M run, and the 3200M run.

43. They started keeping track of the girls track & field records when I was a freshman in high school.

44. All my records have been broken many many times by now.

45. I took classical ballet lessons when I was in middle school.

46. I thought it was because I was so expressive, but really it was because my mom recognized that I was a little on the clumsy side and needed a little bit of extra grace/coordination. (see #20)

47. I'm grateful that my mom didn't tell me that until a few years ago. Now it doesn't bother me at all, but back then I'm sure I would have developed a complex about it.

48. When I was younger, I figured I would be a stay-at-home-mom, and if I needed to, I could teach piano lessons to make extra money.

49. I couldn't teach a piano lesson if my life depended on it.

50. I do teach voice lessons though.

51. Anytime any of my students perform, we have to get someone else to accompany them.

52. Unless they sing "Solveig's Song"

53. Once when I was in college, I made everyone who spent more that 10 minutes in our apartment announce what they thought their "most redeeming quality" was.

54. I can't believe people continued to come visit.

55. Also when I was in college, I had a picture of George H.W. Bush jogging on my bedroom wall. My roommate made fun of it, but I thought it was cool. (I cut the picture out of a news magazine)

56. I've always been a little bit geeky like that.

57. My favorite color has been yellow for over 10 years. At other times though, I've liked blue, deep red, and deep green.

58. I've never really liked pastel colors. (I like the BRIGHT version of yellow)

59. I learned to crochet when I was 10 years old. My first project took me four years to finish.

60. It was a poncho.

61. It's the only poncho I've ever crocheted.

62. Now I can complete a full-size afghan in 3-4 months.

63. And I can crochet without looking down at what I'm doing.

64. Sometimes I read books while crocheting. But, it's a pain to have to turn the pages so often.

65. When I became an aunt for the first time, I put pictures of my niece all over my apartment.

66. I had NO IDEA that I would enjoy being an aunt as much as I do.

67. Eric and I have 24 nieces and nephews, with one more on the way (it's not on my side, so if you're a Corry or a Willis, you can stop speculating now)

68. I have no memory of the first time I met my Eric.

69. Eric has no memory of the first time he met me.

70. I vividly remember the first time I hugged Eric.

71. We were in the mountains (2nd dam for you Cache Valley-ians). He was with his family, and I was heading to a birthday party at a nearby picnic site. He called out to me as he saw me pass, and we chatted for just a bit. As he greeted me, he put out his hand to shake my hand, and I knocked it away, saying, "Eric, we are hugging friends." Then I made him hug me. (he didn't mind)

72. If I had known then that I would marry him (five or so years later), I'm pretty sure I would have freaked out.

73. He would have freaked out too.

74. Marrying him has been the best thing that's ever happened to me.

75. I served a mission in the Santa Rosa California mission. I was assigned to speak Spanish.

76. I learned Spanish in the Missionary Training Center before I arrived in Santa Rosa, but I was only the second sister missionary to have that opportunity. All the other Spanish-speaking sisters had to pick up Spanish "on the fly". Talk about TOUGH!

77. Most of the Spanish-speaking sisters that came out after me had the luxury of learning Spanish in the MTC as well.

78. I came home from my mission on Pearl Harbor Day in 1994.

79. April has turned out to be an important month for me, spiritually.

80. I was baptized on April 8, 1978.

81. I went through the temple for the first time in April of 1993.

82. Eric and I were married on April 14, 2007.

83. One of my most true friends in high school was a girl named April.

84. I think that's just a coincidence.

85. I make tamales every Christmas, and they always turn out delicious.

86. That's about the only thing that I cook that always turns out. Everything else is kind of a gamble.

87. I re-read a chapter (they're short) of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff . . . and it's all small stuff about 2-3 times per week.

88. It's a good reminder to me, because I struggle with worrying about things that don't really matter.

89. My sisters-in-law are some of my best friends. Isn't it nice when it works out that way?

90. I'm pretty fond of my brothers-in-law as well.

91. There aren't many things that I enjoy more than sitting in my parents living room, chatting and laughing (and laughing and laughing and laughing) with my brothers and sisters.

92. I can't decide if my favorite thing to do is to sing or to laugh.

93. Kissing is a close third.

94. I also love to sleep in.

95. When I was little, I had a black cat with a white spot on the end of its tail. I named her "Star Tip".

96. I'm dreading the day that Eric gets really serious in his campaign for us to get a cat.

97. I know I will cave.

98. We've agreed not to discuss it until we live in a home with a garage.

99. My life has turned out very differently from how I had planned.

100. I'm absolutely thrilled with how it is turning out.

7 comments:

Jeri said...

I think I might still have that picture of George W... in case you are missing him and want it back:) (The "ugly baby" picture too)
When Eric wins the cat battle, I recommend getting two. Two kittens are WAY more fun than just one.

Câmera Digital said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tonya said...

I'm glad you decided to do this. I know it's a lot to write and read but I think it's fun.

I too, sweat the small stuff way to much. Maybe I should get that book.

Fun post.

Jodi said...

Oh my goodness Charlotte! I think your most redeeming quality is that you live life to the very fullest and embrace everybody around you along for the ride. This was so fun too read.

I too made braces out of paper clips, well actually I was mimicking a retainer. I thought retainers were very cool. I have never ever met anyone else who did that. I am not so strange after all.

amy greenway said...

Charlotte, I've been missing you and I realized that it's because I haven't been keeping up with your blog so I read your list and now I miss you EVEN MORE! You are the best.

Oh yeah, put me on the list of paper clip wearers.

Charlotte said...

Amy--who's nicer to me than you are?

It's too bad I didn't know you and Jodi when we were kids. We could have had our own we-want-braces club. It would have been awesome!

muchiri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...