Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another Post from Sentimental Charlotte

This morning, as I was lying (or is it laying?) in bed, contemplating whether or not I was going to get up today (Okay, not really. I knew I would eventually crawl out of bed), a flock of geese flew over my house. At least, that was the sound I heard. It was a great way to start the day.


The return of the geese has become one of my sure signs of spring.



During this very month a couple of years ago, I took a trip to New York City. It was kind of a hard time for me, a time when I was more discouraged than is (or was) my general practice. (I wrote a little bit about this trip (but not so much the discouragement) last year. You can read that account here, if you are so inclined.) Anyway, one day during that trip, I went over to Battery Park all by myself, and started roaming around, idly thinking about this and that. To be honest, I was mostly thinking about how I didn't want to go home and deal with all the worries that were waiting for me there, but there were other thoughts filling my mind as well.


Anyway, as I was meandering along, a small flock of geese flew over the Hudson. As I stopped and watched them, I felt so much peace. You know how that happens sometimes? You'll see or hear something rather innocuous, and for some reason, at that particular time, it strikes you in a certain way and you feel better. That's what happened to me. Without going into a lot of emotional details, I saw those geese, and I suddenly felt a whole lot better.



I came home a few days later, and tried to explain the experience to my friend Jeff. He listened to me describe that morning in Battery Park, the stillness of the area, and the absolute calm and reassurance that I felt as I saw those geese. He was very patient and understanding while I told him all the details, far more details that he probably would have liked to hear.



And then, with kindness and patience, and just the slightest bit of exasperation, he said to me, "You do realize Charlotte, that we have geese here too, right?"



That week, as I was going for a little run/walk in my favorite park, a mile or so from my home, a very similar flock of geese flew over me, honking and squawking. As I stopped and watched them, I felt calm and peaceful again. It wasn't the same intensity of feeling that I had felt in Battery Park or anything, but the peace was definitely there. How nice it was to remember and see that we do, in fact, have geese here too.



I wonder how long it will be before I can see/hear a flock of geese in flight and not think about that. I guess we'll see.


In the meantime, Happy Spring! Yippee!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Happy Spring indeed!! We had snow at one of the beaches near us today and then it was sunny this afternoon so I know that Spring has Sprung.

Jeff said...

Grammar Geek says "lying"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...