Thursday, February 28, 2008

Daddy's Girl(s)

My brother recently posted on his blog about (among other things) how his daughter can pretty much get away with murder with him, because he has such a soft spot in his heart for his little girl.

That got me thinking a little bit. Why is it that girls are often able to work their fathers around their pinky finger, while the boys often have to actually earn the respect and love that they get? Is it because we're so darn cute? Is it because we're softer? Is it because we take care of our daddies more? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. I think by and large, dads are just born that way, and any bright young girl soon learns how to work that to her advantage. I know I did.

When I was little, I would spend my Sunday mornings baking bread for my father (we didn't have church until 1:00 p.m.). He liked homemade bread, and he would pay me 50 cents for each loaf I baked him. In return for that, and also for the fact that I kept my hair long (he had a fondness for long hair), my dad would play games with me, and take me for ice cream, and listen to my worries, and laugh at my dumb elephant jokes, and do a million other things, some of which are too personal and too special to be posted here.

But, the fact is, as far as I could tell, he did those things for my brothers just as much as he did them for me or for my sister.

One time, when I was a teenager, the boys were teasing my dad about the favoritism he would show his daughters, and how we girls were able to get so much more out of my dad than the boys.

When the boys had gone off and it was just me and dad left there, I asked him about it. We were sitting on the couch, and I said something along the lines of, "Dad, that's not true is it? I mean, what do you give or do for me & Becca that you don't give or do for the boys?"

And then my father looked at me with a resigned smile, and spoke four words which changed everything for me from then on:


"Anything you ask me."



(This is my dad installing shelving in the shed that was part of my the purchase of my first (and so-far last) home. He spent last Thanksgiving break installing shelving and re-wiring the storage room in my sister's first (and so-far last) home. )




























(I should mention here that it's only the boys who have any hope of inheriting the treasured hunting knife that once belonged to our Great-Uncle Scott. That's got to be worth something, right?)

3 comments:

Jake said...

My poor boys. I dont' even get uncle Scott's hunting knife to pass on (who's Mark going to give it to anyway?).

Jenna Marie said...

Hi Charlotte. This is Jenna and Jeff Corry. Found your blog through some serious linking! :) We also have a blog thecorrys.blogspot.com Anywho- It's fun to see what Jeff's side of the family is up to! And- I agree that daddys always have a special bond with their girls... the boys have a special bond with their dad's too... but it's just different.

Laura said...

It's true. I think the daughters in our house were able to melt dads heart a bit more easily...but my brothers do it to my mom..she kills the fatted calf EVERY time they visit...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...