Saturday, February 09, 2008

another conversation

TWO to TWO-AND-A-HALF WEEKS AGO:

Scene: The living room. Charlotte and Eric are on the couch, catching up on the days events.

Charlotte: Hey, I posted a blog a couple of days ago about how I get so grumpy during the winter months.

Eric (not all that interested, but making a valiant effort to hide that fact): Really?

Charlotte: Yup. And some people left some comments that were kind of interesting. Jacob worked with a doctor who installed some of those sun-replacement lamps in his office, and it's been amazing to see the change in attitude there.

Eric (a bit more interested, but still fairly ambivalent): Oh yeah?

Charlotte: And my friend Jodi actually got a light box a while ago, and she said that it has made a world of difference for her.

Eric (less ambivalent now): Really? Huh.

Charlotte: I've been thinking that it might be a good thing. The only problem is, they run about $250.

Eric (suddenly completely involved in the conversation now, while at the same time contemplating the number of Japanese Robots which can be purchased for $250): Oh. $250, huh?

Charlotte: Yeah. That's the bad part. But, sometimes you can get insurance to pay for it, and even if my insurance won't pay for it, I bet we could run it through the flex spending plan at the opera.

Eric (with uncertainty): Well, if you think it would help . . .

Charlotte (also with uncertainty): Well, I have a feeling that it might. But that is a lot of money.

Eric (generously): Well yeah, but we have some Christmas money . . . How does it work?

Charlotte (not as sure now): Well, you're supposed to use it for fifteen minutes or so in the morning. I was thinking I could put it in the yellow room, and then when I go in there in the mornings to read scriptures and stuff I could turn it on for those 30 minutes.

Eric (remembering how he has been rudely awakened at least three out of the last ten mornings by an anxious Charlotte who had conjured up some impending catastrophe during time in which she was ostensibly doing "scripture study"*) : Actually, come to think of it, I think this light might be a really great idea. I think you should get it.

Charlotte (surprised): Really? Are you sure?

Eric (with certainty and authority): Yes. Absolutely.

Charlotte (still a little unsure): Yeah?

Eric: Yeah.

Charlotte: Well, okay. I'll do some research and let you know what I find out.

Eric: Sounds great.

[End Scene]


So, we ended up making the big light box purchase a bit ago. My insurance (not surprisingly) didn't cover it, but I am able to run it through the flex spending plan, as long as I attach the note from my doctor, detailing that it is for treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I found one (a light, not a doctor's note) here for $179.95, including shipping. It arrived last Friday, and I started using it last Saturday.

Now, it's only been one week, and it could be all due to the fact that I'm expecting this light to make a difference and so it does, but I have to say that this has been one of the least stressful, least anxious, most peaceful winter weeks I have had in years. As you will remember from this post, we've had an unreasonable amount of snow lately, and yet even that hasn't made much of a dent in my new optimism. So, after one week of very unscientific testing, I have to say that I'm a fan of the light box.

Thanks Jodi! Thanks Jacob!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Eric's morning sleep has been completely uninterrupted this week. Jodi & Jacob, he thanks you as well.


*It should be noted here that at this moment while Eric was in fact, concerned about his lack of sleep, he was more concerned about my happiness, and the apparent lack thereof on these particular mornings especially. This is because Eric is a prince of a man.

8 comments:

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake said...

I'll send you a bill for my advice. It won't be much as I can't exactly call it expert advice yet(the rates go up considerably after May).

I'm interested to see how you feel about this light thing in a few months so keep me up to date. It may be a worthy purchase for next year.

Tonya said...

I've heard of people using those before and having good success. I hope it continues to help you.

Laura said...

I am really looking forward to hearing how this goes...my husband has talked about purchasing one of these before..keep us "posted" hee hee

Jodi said...

Yahoo! I am so glad it is working. I wish I had purchased a light years ago. It is worth ever penny (Flex or not).

Tim (always certain, occasionally right) said...

$179.95 is a bargain for a good placebo.

If the light box stops working, try Tahitian Noni Juice. In addition to treating multiple forms of cancer, I'm sure it also works for SAD or anything else that ails ya.

You see, as a distributor once explained to me, my body is made up of these little things called "cells" and the patented formula works with my body to make my cells "stronger." Certainly stronger cells can only lead to less anxiety.

...or maybe I'm mixing up my miracle products. Sometimes I miss living in Provo.

Awesome post. You should be a playwright!

Charlotte said...

(to tim) Well, if this accounting thing doesn't work out . . .

melissa c said...

That is awesome! I am going to look it up! I think I have SAD too and always have. plus with being sick so much, it has just been a bad winter! Thanks Char! Great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...