Monday, January 28, 2008

Favorite Quotes

President Gordon B. Hinckley
(June 23, 1910-January 27, 2008)


Things will work out. If you keep trying and praying and working, things will work out. They always do. If you want to die at an early age, dwell on the negative. Accentuate the positive, and you’ll be around for a while.
-Gordon B. Hinckley

There was a time when I had a copy of this statement taped into the front page of my day-planner, so I could look at it whenever I was feeling uncertain as to whether or not things actually would work out. What a source of reassurance that was for me.

If there were more temple work done in the church, there would be less of selfishness, less of contention, less of demeaning others.
-Gordon B. Hinckley


A nation will rise no higher than the strength of its homes.
-Gordon B. Hinckley


I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort.
-Gordon B. Hinckley




I'll miss President Hinckley. I loved hearing him, I loved seeing him, and I loved following his counsel as best I could.




And now we start a new chapter in the church. How thrilling for me to prepare to love and support a new prophet. Because really, the prophet is just God's mouthpiece right? And God's certainly not going anywhere.



Thank heaven for that.

9 comments:

Laura said...

The first quote speaks to me...even though I am not a member of your church...I think that quote could benefit EVERYONE.
"God's not going anywhere." by Charlotte is a nice one too.

Tonya said...

Very well said Charlotte. One of my favorite quotes from him (well, actually his dad) "Forget yourself, and go to work" I often think of that when I'm starting the invitations to a pity party.

I will miss him dearly.

Charlotte said...

Laura-If you're going to let me celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas without being a member of the Catholic Church, the LEAST I can do is allow you to enjoy a Hinckley quote or two without being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Tonya-What a good idea! I've liked that quote as well, but now maybe I'll take a page from your book and use those words to head me off when I'm headed to the swamps of sorrow.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful comments. What a treat it is for me to read them this morning.

Bamamoma said...

I will forever remember his quoting the pioneer saying "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" what a great thought in today's disposable world.

I'll also remember just last conference when he took his cane and "Knighted" Pres. Eyring. What a fabulous sense of humor he has!

I just have to think the Heavens are even happier with him there.

Laura said...

I left a little message for you on my blog....come see.

musicmom said...

Thanks for the quotes. They were ones I hadn't heard, or remembered. I hope that you don't mind me posting one of them on my blog.
What a nice tribute you paid to president Hinckley. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Charlotte said...

I don't mind in the least. In fact, I'll be watching to see which one you post!

summer said...

These are wonderful pictures that you found. Thanks for your words... this was a great post!!!

Tim said...

I suspect President Hinckley never allowed himself to suffer from "Seasonal Affective Disorder"

(Personally, I think S.A.D. is just the emotional equivalent of Fibromyalgia. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't even try to get into med school.)

Forget yourself and get to work! Love, Dad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...