Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Charlotte and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

So yesterday wasn't my favorite day.

  • I turned off my alarm twice without realizing I was doing it, which made it so I was an hour late getting up for the day. This meant that I didn't have time for my morning walk, which is when I get all my anxiety and angst out. Consequently, my morning was a little high in the anxiety and angst department.
  • On my lunch hour, I went to three different stores, on a Christmas errand, all for naught. While I was out searching for this (secret) item, I noticed that the rear tire in the RAV was dangerously close to being flat. Fortunately, I was near a service station, and the very nice attendant turned the air on for me for free, thus saving me 75 cents (a small amount, but it meant that I didn't have to change out my dollar bill, and I was grateful). Also fortunately, I found as I filled the tire with air that it wouldn't be needing any further maintenance.
  • After my (non-lunch-eating) lunch hour, I went back to work to find that the software program that I use for all the accounting data at the opera (i.e., the program that is the most critical to my success, sense of fulfillment, and ability to stay in this particular position of employment) was being incredibly temperamental.
  • After trying the few tricks I knew to no avail, I called technical support. That's when things got really bad. I'll not bore you with the details, but I will say that I spent over 2 hours on the phone with a woman whose native language was not English, trying to talk computers, software, and accounting. Sixty minutes into the conversation, my technical support representative realized that she was looking at the wrong version of the software than the one I was using. (I just about started crying at that point). Finally we got the situation to a point where it was temporarily (but only temporarily) livable.
  • I left work a little bit late, and broke down and went to Wal-Mart for the (secret) Christmas errand (breaking my "no Wal-Mart from December 1 through December 25 rule"). Wal-Mart was just as crazy as you would imagine it would be on December 17, but I did eventually find what I was looking for. I had fifteen minutes before the post office was to close, and I rushed over there.
  • The line at the post office was out the door. At least the postal workers and other people waiting in line were almost all in good moods. That little fact helped me out immensely.
  • I got my package mailed, and headed home. As I was unloading some groceries from the back of the RAV, I noticed a 2-liter bottle of Diet Pepsi that I must have purchased on some previous shopping trip and never brought into the house.
  • Now, I am not a drinker of Diet Pepsi. (You may remember how my body tends to deal with caffeine) Eric, who used to be a drinker of Diet Pepsi, is currently trying to kick the habit (and being pretty successful, I might add). So, I was going to just toss the bottle, but upon reflection, I decided that a nice cold Diet Pepsi might be just the thing that would help me start to turn this day around.

IT WASN'T.

  • The soda had frozen during its time in the back of the RAV, and as I tried to open it, it started fizzing. No big deal, I just tightened the lid until the air was just gently escaping from the bottle. I let it sit for a few minutes, until I decided it was probably ready to be opened.

IT WASN'T.

  • As I opened the bottle a little more, suddenly, I was surrounded by a Diet Pepsi fountain! Diet Pepsi was everywhere! It was on the counter and all over the sink. It was all over my shirt and all over the kitchen floor. It was on the ceiling and on the cabinets. It was in places that I haven't even yet discovered.

At that point, I lost it. Thankfully, on this particular occasion, "losing it" entailed me bursting in to gales and gales of laughter. I got the Pepsi taken care of, and as I worked on that, I just laughed. I laughed until I had tears running down my cheeks. I laughed until I thought my stomach would be in a permanent state of cramp-ness. I laughed until I thought I might be going crazy. But I'll take a fit of hysterical laughter over a bout of inconsolable sobbing any day. You may think this laughing fit might have been the thing that would start to turn this day around.

IT WAS.

The rest of yesterday evening got a little bit better each hour, and today has been much better. At work I was able to come up with what I think will eventually be a livable (and even better) solution to my software issues, my Christmas errands are all but complete, and at this particular moment there's not a drop of Diet Pepsi in sight.

Whew!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Char you are so awesome. I think it is a bit ironic that a soda pop fountain in your kitchen was the thing that turned your day around. Most people would crawl into bed at that point and wait for tomorrow.

Tonya said...

Yep, sometimes all that is left to do laugh :o) I'm sorry that you had such a rotten day but I'm glad you were able to turn it around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...