Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Eve

Before we get into the real meat of today's post, I have two "I'm-in-charge-of-buying-groceries-for-a-(really small)-family-now-instead-of-just-running-into-the grocery-store-when-I'm-out-of -milk-or-yogurt-or-chocolate-chips-and-(now that it's more than just me) I-want-to-save-money-AND-be-healthy" questions.

(With statements like that, I'm extraordinarily lucky that anyone even tries to read this blog. Don't think I don't know that.)

Question one:
How lean does ground beef need to be to be considered "extra lean"?

Question two:
What's a good price for extra lean ground beef?

(Did you notice that I said "before we get into the real MEAT of the post", and then asked two questions about beef? Amazing. I'm simply amazing.)

Okay, so all is well with me and Eric. Today is my last day of work until Monday, and I'm thrilled about it. Actually, Sunday night I started getting a little bit of the "Sunday night blues", until I realized that since I would only work three days this week, that the next day would be more like a Wednesday than a Monday. Then I felt much better.

Monday turned out to be nice, but yesterday wasn't exactly my favorite day. I got some bad-ish news at work and some bad-ish news from the doctor (nothing to worry about though--but since when do I need something to actually worry about before I start worrying? I'll tell you since when--since never!), and it was just a hectic run-around-like-crazy-day on top of all of that.

But, today is a new day, and it's turning out to be a much more relaxed day, and I've figured out a plan as to how I'm going to deal with the work stuff, and I've realized that I had over-reacted (for a change) to the health stuff, and tomorrow is Thanksgiving. So, what's not to like about all of that?

Tonight I'll be making pies. That's my Thanksgiving assignment, pies. I'm making chocolate cream (my favorite), pecan, and lemon. Eric wants me to try lemon meringue, and I've agreed to give it a shot. I've never made it before though, so we'll see how it goes. Perhaps in a few days I'll be blogging about my meringue catastrophe, or perhaps it will be a meringue triumph. Is the suspense killing you? It sure is killing me.


And with all that rambling, I leave you for a few days. Happy Thanksgiving Eve.

-cc

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't know if you have already found a recipie for your Lemon Meringue Pie but if not I have a fabulous one from the lion house christmas recipie book. I will put it below just in case it come in handy


Grated Rind from 2 lemons
3 cups sugar
2 heaping tablespoons flour
2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
5 egg yolks, well-beaten
4 cups water
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon butter
1 9-inch baked pie shell

Grate outside rind of two lemons; add sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Stir in beaten egg yolks, then water and lemon juice. Over medium heat, stir constantly till the mixture is thickened. Stir in butter. Pour into pie shell.

Prepare Meringue - Beat egg whites until foamy; stir in 3 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until stiff. Carefully spoon onto pie. Bake at 425 for 3 to 5 minutes or till meringue is lightly brown.

And that is it. This is acutally the recipie of Flora Benson wife of President Benson and I have made it before and it is pretty failproof. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

Jeri said...

Let me tell you - I have "beef" with beef. Man have prices gone up and quality gone down! These days if I can find extra lean ground beef (85 - 89% depending on the store)
I'll buy the cheaper stuff sometimes if it's to fry for something and I know I'll be able to drain it and blot it with paper towels, etc... but I just hate paying for all that gross grease! YUCK

Tonya said...

Wow, those pies look good. I'm getting hungry already. I am in charge of the sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Sorry I don't know much about the ground beef. Hubs is the main cook in our family.

Harmony said...

I think 85% lean or more is considered extra lean. And anything under $1.99/lb. is a decent price (well, as good as you're probably gonna find anyway).

I'm waiting anxiously to hear how your pies turned out....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...