Monday, November 19, 2007

Makin' it to the Shire

Conceivably, Eric and I could live out the rest of our lives within a mile of where we live now.

For about 7 years, I lived in a town home/condo with Heidi on the other side of the valley from where I live now. After a while, Heidi got the hankering to move, and after about a year, I agreed to go with her. (I'm lucky Heidi was so patient with me) Heidi found a great apartment in a brand new complex on the other side of the valley. We moved in, and lived there for a year.

As we were living there, I started getting the itch to become a homeowner. There was a townhome community that I would run through during my morning exercise at times, and to make a long story short, I eventually purchased one of those homes. That's where Eric and I live now.

Eventually, Eric and I are hoping to have a few children (and no, this is NOT an announcement). When that happens, we will probably outgrow our three-bedroom townhome, and we'll need to find another place to live. Fortunately, there are a few regular-sized homes within a few blocks of where we live, and it seems that at least three to five of them are up for sale at any given time.

But, what I'm really looking forward to is when we get old enough that our family-sized home seems way too big for just the two of us oldies, and we can't stomach the thought of mowing another lawn or shoveling another walk, ever again. Because, within about a five minute walk from where we live now, there is a whole plethora of hobbit homes, disguised as a retirement community!

Eric was talking to one of the residents of said community a few weeks ago, and was told that the development was planned to look like a Thomas Kinkaide painting. They are really charming houses, and I can see why they are so popular (The picture below doesn't really capture the quirky charm of the area). Overall though, their appeal to me comes down to the fact that I like to think of myself living within a short walk of my friends, Bilbo, Frodo, and of course Sam.


(although, if we're going to be technical, I guess only Sam would still be there, right?)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...