Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Gems

Well, the past few days have been great. We had a great time at General Conference, I was able to become pretty familiar with several of the songs in the book I wrote about in my last post, and we were able to spend some quality family time with members of both the Cantwells and the Corrys. Nice.

I think just for fun, today I'm going to list a couple of my favorite quotes, and perhaps add a little bit of commentary on them.

(A brief note on these quotes . . . I used to be a voracious reader. As I read, I would take the parts of wisdom from the books and magazines I read, and copy them into a notebook. It was several years before I realized that I should really write the reference of where the quotes came from, rather than just the name of the author. So, while I can tell you from where some of these quotes came, many of them I simply cannot. Oh well. Live and learn.)


Friendship takes time. If you want friends, make friendship a priority.
-Unknown

I don't remember when I found this one, but I heartily agree with it. In looking back over my life, I've never had a real quality friendship that didn't require a fair amount of time and nourishment. At the same time, I've never had a real quality friendship that wasn't absolutely worth every second of time and every bit of nourishment that it required.

For when I am weak, then am I strong.
2 Corinthians 12:10

I've loved this scripture for years and years and years.

I would suggest that the next time a ‘what if’ starts badgering you, look it straight in the eyes and ask it, ‘all right, what’s the very worst that could happen?’ And when it answers, ask yourself, ‘What could I do about it?’ You’ll find there will always be something. Then you’ll see that you can have power in any situation. And when you realize that, the fears will go away.
-Benjamin Hoff The Te of Piglet

I'm still working on this one. Actually, I will probably still be working on this one until the day I die. But, I'm pleased that I do notice progress. Small minute pieces of progress to be sure--but still, progress IS progress.

As a physician who has been deeply privileged to share the most profound moments of people’s lives, including their final moments, let me tell you a secret. People facing death don’t think about what degrees they’ve earned, what positions they’ve held or how much wealth they’ve accumulated. At the end, what really matters-and is a good measure of a past life-is who you loved and who loved you. The circle of love is everything.
-Bernadine Healy MD

This is a great one for me to remember when I feel my priorities are getting a little out of whack.


And finally, from that great musical "South Pacific":

You’ve got to have a dream, if you don’t have a dream, how you gonna have a dream com true?
-Bloody Mary
(well, actually this was written by
Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein)

Happy Tuesday to you all.

-c

1 comment:

Laura said...

You've inspired me to have my students reflect on some famous quotes.Great idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...