Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Hey Ma'am, how 'bout a cookie or two?"

So last night, Eric and I were out trying to drum up a little money in the annual Friends of Scouting Drive. We had two routes, and as we were knocking doors on the first one, we had an experience that made me think (and then what I was thinking made me laugh).

We knocked on a door, and a woman answered. Eric explained to her that we were out collecting money for the Boy Scouts of America, and asked if she would like to donate. She said that she didn't want to, and then she said, "And you want to know why I don't want to?"

I didn't particularly want to know why, and I'm sure Eric didn't either, but we both smiled, and Eric said that he would like to know why. (that little liar!)

The woman told us that she didn't support the BSA because she had all daughters, and that apparently the Boy Scouts don't share their money with the Girl Scouts. She didn't feel like that was fair, and so she had no desire to help us with our little fund drive.

I've (obviously) never been a Boy Scout, and I wasn't a Girl Scout either. (I opted to be a part of a 4-H club instead, and boy was that GREAT! Sometime maybe I'll do a post about 4-H. I'm a real believer, let me tell you!) So, I don't know any of the details as far as the Boys and Girls sharing their scout money, or any of that.



As I think about it though, I get a little giggle-ly when I try to imagine what "Boy Scout Cookie Month" would be like.


Honestly, don't you?






5 comments:

Tonya said...

Hi there, as you said on my blog, you don't know me (yet) but thanks for checking out my blog. It's great to have support out here in bloggy land. I look forward to getting to know you better :o)

Jodi said...

You crack me up. For some reason that scene from The Pacifier where the Brownies take on the Cub Scouts in a Costco parking lot comes to mind.

Laura said...

Isn't that a Brady Bunch episode?
Funny

Laura said...

Yes!!!! Peter has to sell cookies as a SUNSHINE GIRL!!! I knew it sounded familiar..phew- I'm NOT CRAZY AFTERALL.

Charlotte said...

That's right! There IS a Brady Bunch episode about that. I had forgotten all about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...