Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Changing the World

I got a card in the mail yesterday, inviting me to observe the anniversary of September 11 as a National Day of Service. The card referred me to this website, where I was able to pledge to do a good deed on or around September 11 in honor of those lost.



The site is very clear about the fact that our good deeds do not need to be of monumental proportions in order to be valid or make a difference. In fact, (as you can see from the logo above) the catch line of the movement is "Changing the World. One Good Deed at a Time."


As my 9/11 good deed, I've committed to write at least one heartfelt letter of thanks to a person currently deployed in the U.S. Armed Forces. Since I have no close friends or family who fit that description at the moment, I'm going to choose one of the sites listed here , and go from there.


Some other suggestions given on the website include: giving blood, donating to Goodwill, working for Habitat for Humanity, or donating money to a charitable organization. But really, it's totally up to us. We can choose what we want to do.



I think it's a nice way to commemorate the day, and I'm grateful that someone (or a bunch of someones) went to the trouble to remind me of the opportunity.



And that's it for today.

4 comments:

Jeri said...

what a great idea.

Laura said...

did it

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

What a great idea. I'm going to do the same.

Jennie said...

how very cool! i love this idea!

my motto is: random acts of kindness!

i am going to check out this site! thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...