Friday, July 20, 2007

Will my mom disown me over this?

So, about 10 days ago, when I was contemplating the 6 hour drive that Eric and I would be taking to one of my family reunions, I went to our local library and checked out some books on tape. (Eric and I really enjoy talking to each other, but 6 hours? Come on!!) I checked out four books on CD, and one of them was Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

This was not my first bit of exposure to this book. As you may or may not know, I'm a faithful reader of Reader's Digest Magazine, and I had read excerpts of the book there when it first came out. Furthermore, I've actually owned a printed copy of the book for a couple of years now, having picked one up for a buck or two on one of my traveling adventures (this one to Houston with Tayneshia and Delphina). I bought it then for two reasons: First--the price was right. Second--It occurred to me that since Ms. Rodham Clinton was showing up in the news so often, I would probably do well to balance what I was hearing about her from everyone else with what she was saying about herself.





Anyway, as I said, I got the book a few years ago. However, I never made the time to read it. So, when I saw the recorded version at the library, I checked it out, and Eric and I listened to it for a few hours en route to and from my family reunion. Since we've been home, I've kept the CDs in my car, and I've continued to listen to it as I've gone to and from work each day.



I must say, it's been an interesting experience. I come from very very conservative roots, to say the least, and I'll admit that I tend to lean to the conservative side much more often than I lean anywhere else politically. But, I've found the book interesting, and at times some of what she says resonates within me. At other times, what she says is very much against my own feelings and viewpoint. Because of all of this, I haven't determined definitively what to think about Hillary Rodham Clinton. Perhaps I never will. Eric knows of a biography of the Clintons that appears to be at least somewhat unbiased, and so when we're finished with this autobiography, we're going to see if we can get ahold of that one.

And then maybe I'll have a better idea of where I stand.

(This from a girl who has already contributed-however meagerly- to Mitt Romney's presidential campaign)

One thing before I close. This is not a political blog, and I have no intention or desire to turn it into one. (I'm not interested enough in or smart enough about the issues to try to attempt that) The preceding entry is not meant to be political, just to share an experience that I am having right now. It has been my experience that there are very few subjects that engender as much passion, misunderstanding, and stubbornness as politics, and when those things take over, I feel badly inside.

With that in mind, I just say one thing. If you have any comments that are open-minded, thought-filled, or contemplative (or just plain non-inflammatory), please feel free to leave them here. On the other hand, if this is one of those subjects that you feel very very strongly about, and you happen to have comments that are angry, accusatory, or might be unhelpful in other ways, if you would go to this site, you should be able to find any number of blogs that do focus on political issues. I would think those places would be a much more welcome location for that kind of commentary.

I guess I could probably say this best by recalling the old saying from that greatest of all classics, Bambi.

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Have a glorious weekend.

:)

And no, I'm pretty sure that my mother will NOT disown me over this. I might get a stern talking-to though.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

The google blog search just cracked me up. Thanks for a good laugh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...